What do I need to program?

Jermsmingy

Registered
Hey Guys,

I have never programmed before, but I want to start. I would like to learn Unix so I can write stuff off linux too. I need to know what to do to get started. ie. books, websites, etc. Are there any other languages I should learn. I want to primarily program for os x. If you have any suggestions the help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

g4 450 with 704 mb of ram
ibook 500 with 256 mb of ram
2 imac g3 400 with 128 mb of ram
new g4 800 imac with 512 mb of ram (on it's way)

Coming from a guy that started with C and then tried for the longest time to think in the Object Oriented way, I highly recomend starting with something like C++ or Java.

Between the two, C++ is pretty fast and would be a great little CLI tool. Java is a very fun language with plenty of documentation (which you'll learn to love when you can't find any).

After buying Aaron Hillegass's book "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" I've found a new love for Objective-C. But from the little Java I knew before starting I found I was able to keep up.

So in my humble opinion, Java is a great way to go. With Java and an OOP understanding, you'll be able to do whatever you want :)

-Jim

Back