What do I need????

rickd1010

Registered
I am trying to find the proper ethernet router so that I can get 2 Macs to share the same Road Runner modem. I am not interested in going wireless at this time, but would sure like to know what to buy to network both my computers to that modem so that they will both have high-speed internet. Since this is a home network situation, the router doesn't have to be very expensive if it doesn't have to be.

Thnx for any and all help!

Rick

D-Link, Netgear, Buffalo are all good routers that'll work fine for you.

If you think you may be using wireless in the future, I would get a 4 port wireless router now. You don't have to use the wireless.

Search through here for deals.

But wireless costs at least a couple times as much as wired, maybe more if you look at the minimally useful wired router vs. a wireless router that won't give you headaches if you try to use it.

Also, you'd have to remember to turn off the wireless radio if you aren't using it yet and don't want intruders getting on your local network.

But wireless costs at least a couple times as much as wired, maybe more if you look at the minimally useful wired router vs. a wireless router that won't give you headaches if you try to use it.

Also, you'd have to remember to turn off the wireless radio if you aren't using it yet and don't want intruders getting on your local network.

First check if the modem has UTP out, if the modem is onluy USB out, you will require to replace the modem too.

The price for some wireless routers is less than double of the wired routers. Next to turning WiFi off, you can also add security to prevent usage (unless you want some others to allow to use it like visitors>.

If you are sure not to require WiFii for some years, buy one without it.

Good luck, Kees

Back