What DO you like about how OSX behaves?

Scooby Dooby Do

Registered
I'm trying to get a sense of all the little UI elements and ways OSX behaves that everyone here really likes )

(sort of like the way that cup holder in your new car is so great you started drinking coffee in the mornings just so you can use it more

1. Right mouse-button:D
2. The new Finder(apart from moving files, that's a bitch), it has hot-buttons in top, love it
3. Sound-buttons on keyboard control system volume when iTunes is open
4. Of course, Aqua
5. It's so damn stable
6. Bigger icons

1. COLUMN VIEW!
2. how quick my powerbook now wakes up from sleep
3. the awesome 128x128 icons
4. the finder toolbar
5. the "intelligent" dock icons
6. transparent menus
7. the multiple users setup
8. minimizing windows to the dock
9. the added stability, memory management, etc.

and reason number X...the throbbing buttons ;)

throbing buttons rock!

And osx has exelent appearance.

I love printing to pdf too. That just makes my day sometimes.

Also, choosing unix compatability instead of a BeOS or Copland style os is just utterly cool. I'm doing so many things I just can't do under os9.

But, I thinnk we can all agree on this one (aggree with me - its the best reason overall):
IT BEATS THE $%!# OUT OF WINDOWS

i like the cool animations associated with the dock- minimizing windows, jumping icons (haha!)
and in textedit, i like the way the print window kinda unfolds from the top of the window (i haven't realized if it happens in any other apps yet...)

:D

-kerisbf

kerisbf: Those are called sheets, and many other applications use them, including Microsoft Office X and almost all Cocoa applications like OmniWeb.

I love the UNIX underpinnings as well... I find myself solving problems I never would be able to without the UNIX underpinnings.

It definitely beats Windows.

I love the plethora of applications that have become available now that Apple includes free Developer Tools with each boxed copy of Mac OS X.

And I LOVE the stability.

Aqua gives very good feeback (bouncing icons, genie effect etc.). When I go back to GNOME I find myself straining to listen for drive grinding while apps open.

Overall, the interface is pretty simple.

It comes with a CLI shell, even if it isn't bash.

The thing wakes up like nobody's business.

Java performance and IDE kick ass.

Cocoa supports Java and AppleScript (which would be even better if I knew a damn thing about AppleScript. I wish it supported bourne or PERL), making it easy for any moron to write a GUI for unix CLI apps.

Allows me to gloat in front of all my fellow unix user coworkers who couldn't think up a good enough excuse to order a TiBook (my boss had me write him a proposal but chickened out and never submitted it).

FEEDBACK - You can tell what OS X is doing. You can see if an app is loading, is in memory, or needs attention from a glance at the dock. Buttons throb if they are active, dialogues stay where they belong and don't multiply as they do in windows. The Aqua interface is sensible, and never intrusive. It is also highly customisable, even more so than the linux window managers.
CONTROL - The keyboard controls and shortcuts are neat, easy and well documented. It is easy to store different locations and call up different settings with a couple of clicks - a must if you travel. And if you're not afraid to dabble with unix, you can customise even more.
NET ACCESS - Every server you could ever want is there: Web, mail, news, FTP, telnet, SSH. All are easy to get going and adjust to your taste.

I like everything that was already mentioned, but the main thing is that it is just so easy and comfortable. I always feel like I'm fighting with Windows, but with OS X it is enjoying to use. Just the overall elegance and ease of use. Its a hard thing to explain to an ignorant windows user. You have to use it.

I have to go with everything that was said, then toss in the "Tool Bar" over every window. I love to customize it. I have some drag-and-drop appz located on it so I can do things like uncompress, zip, stuff, and mount disk images from any directory.

I also think it's much easier to customize the overall look of the GUI. Open source OS's are the way to go. Let the pros be pros.

And when it all goes bad... FORCE QUIT WORKS!!!

Back