What do you think: 10.2 or 10.5?

Which version do you think Apple will release their OS X update as?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ricky

Registered
I personally think Apple is going to release the Mac OS X update as 10.5, not 10.2. I say this because of the way they've numbered the previous versions of the OS.

There are already leakes of 10.2 "Jaguar." This is not the old OS nor the old numbering system. Things are changing and they're using a Logical numbering system, just like with all of their other products.

Too busy to list all the other reasons now, use the "Search" button :)

i somewhat agree with this, but i also feel that maybe Apple thinks that they would like to put off the X vs. 11 branding issues for as long as possible... by jumping to .2 rather than .5 this prolongs the life of the X name dramatically, they then could theoretically then put out releases like .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 for the next 3+ years without having to get rid of Mac OSX as a brand name.

This is a trend that I think we will only see more often in software branding and marketing... With names like MX and XP hitting the shelves, developers are less apt to do the Adobe style mandatory .5 jump for every revision of product...

Just my opinion, of course.

But this isn't 8.2 or 8.5, this is OS X, an entire different Platform based on virutally NO classic OS code, with the only ties being thru Classic compatability layer.

Some even have argued that Mac OS X is not a real Mac, and that the new OS should be called something else. If it wasn't for name recognition, I'm sure Steve might have pushed for a different name.

10.2 Apple needs to stick with the "10" for a while. what happens when apple reaches 11? will this forum change it's name?

Actually, their version numbering isn't logical at all at this time, either, because OS X is a completely different OS than OS 9. The only logical way of numbering it would be 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and so on. That would also clean up all the mess with the version numbering, how to pronounce "Mac OS X", etc.

Well, leaked builds can change. 'Allegro' was the codename of Mac OS 8.2 - and Apple decided to rename it 8.5 when it still was in Alpha stages. So it happened before. I voted 10.5, but I'd also understand that they don't want to reach 11 so soon. (They could still go to 11 directly from, say, 10.3, without ever going to 10.5 at all.)

Version numbering is a marketing issue rather than a 'logical' issue. Okay let's *not* go to Microsoft's naming scheme nightmare ever since Windows 95, but let's look at Adobe. ImageReady was a separate product at version 1.0 and was bundled with Photoshop at version 2, I believe. PS6 shipped with IR3, PS7 is shipping with ImageReady 7.0. See?

Now, I still think that Jaguar will be named according to price (not features). If they decide to make this a full upgrade (with your Mac OS 10 or 10.1 discounting the price), it will be 10.5, as a 10.2 version could not be sold for much money (again, not because of the feature set). If it will be 10.2, the price will be lower.

This is *NOT* the classic Mac OS. This is what Steve Jobs came back to Apple to push, and he's gonna have it work in a way that makes since. This is not 8.2 or 8.5, this is a unix based operating system with no ties to the former Classic Mac OS except GUI similarities. From what I've read, Steve HATED what happened to the Mac OS after he left, that includes system 7, 8, and 9. Companies like Adobe charge for updates from 5.0, to 5.5, to 6.0, to 7.0, etc, so I don't see why the new Mac OS X can't. We've gone from 10.0, to 10.0.1, to 10.0.2, to 10.0.3, to 10.0.4, to 10.1.0, to 10.1.1, to 10.1.2, to 10.1.3, to 10.1.4, and probably to 10.1.5, hmm, what comes NeXT? :)

I'm willing to bet EVERYTHING I own that it'll be called 10.2. ;)

There's already been talk of 10.2 coming out via the media. I've heard nothing aboutf 10.5. 10.2 is supposed to deliver us speed enhancements and full audio functionality. That's what I'm waiting for.

Originally posted by dricci
This is *NOT* the classic Mac OS. ... From what I've read, Steve HATED what happened to the Mac OS after he left, that includes system 7, 8, and 9.

Erhm... I hate to interfere again, but Steve was back when Mac OS 7.7 was being developped (which shipped as Mac OS 8). And again: This is a marketing issue. Nothing to do with technical or graphics design aspects of the different OSs.

I don't really understand why you tried so hard to make that point... (And even so hard that other users and myself must think that you think I don't know *anything* about the OS in question.)

Let's rethink this. What makes a .5 version? What would be needed for the OS we'll buy in July to be named 10.5? Improvements in performance, and that means stability and speed. Also, new features must find their way into the OS. I think Jaguar will deliver this.

Normally, I would definitely say 10.5, for pricing and implied progress reasons. However, X is an exception as it has become its own brand. Apple would be stupid to not hang on to X for a long time, at least another couple of years. 10.2 it is. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they found a way to keep X (even though Steve calls it "ten") as a base name for many years with some clever way of revealing revs. Almost like "Mac OS X Version 2" or something better hopefully.

I think when Apple reaches 11.0. they'll be calling it "Mac OSX v11.0". I really think the X in the name doesn't have as much to do with the version number as it does with distinguishing it as not just a continuation of OS9. As for 10.2, I think it'll be called 10.2. Or maybe I'm nuts.

lol, jkestr. :D

As for the version number, I'm starting to lean towards 10.2. It seems logical.. however, I would still have to go with 10.5, just because 10.5 seems to roll off the tongue easier. :p

Wouldn't it be funny if we were all wrong and Apple released it as Mac OS X v. 10.3 or something like that? :D

Nanosound: this is what I've been able to gather also. There will be a 10.1.5 some time (real)soon. After that I don't think they'll call it 10.2 but 10.5. This is not based on any insider information at all.:D

I think it would be they most likely step, because 10.1.5 will deliver a few major enhancements. After that it would take some time (months) before another update and that would be...10.5

The name of the OS is Mac OS X

The version numbers are completely separate.

Right now we are on Mac OS X version 10.1.4

When we finally hit 11, it will be Mac OS X version 11. Or they might make it Mac OS X version 2 (assuming version 10 is like version 1).

So it will always be Mac OS X. The same way before, it was always Mac OS. Just the version number changed. Mac OS version 7. Mac OS version 8. Mac OS version 9.

Now it's Mac OS X version 10.1.4. Future will be Mac OS X version 11, or version 2.

Back