What do you think about the new iMac?

What do you think about the new iMac?

• Oh yea! I really want it!

• Holy sh*t... Get off!

• To be honest, I have to get more information on this baby before answering such question.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just dribbled two drips of peepee from Herve's latest. My god is that funny to me.

He really had me going there for a minute, than he slid into his typical brilliant gibberish.

Some people have been criticizing Apple for the new iMac because it is more expensive than the older (emphasis on older) iMacs. To them, I have a few comments:

1) The new iMac is substantially faster and more powerful than its predecessor and justifies the increased price. Also, the LCD display is superior in quality to the CRT one used by the original iMac (it is sharper, brighter, doesn't pollute the environment as much, etc.)

2) Popcorn used to cost 10¢ -- well, the original Macintosh was $2,495! This is almost have that price and is INFINATELY more powerful (and sexier than a beige box!).

3) Apple has NOT abandoned the price concious. I'll just let an independent journalist and Apple itself respond:

CRT-based iMacs continue as an option

"Apple thinks the new iMac will be a huge success, but they also recognize there are some customers that won't be able to afford the price. The company has decided to keep two original CRT iMacs available for the education market and consumers -- both systems are priced under $1,000.

'Starting today we've kept the $799 price point of the existing iMac and we've taken the $1,299 CRT iMac and dropped that down to $999,' said Schiller.

Apple has long been accused of pricing its products too high, but Schiller counters that while price is important, the quality of the product and the technologies Apple puts in its computers bear consideration, as well.

'Price is very important. We work very hard to make the most affordable products we can, but we also care about making great products. We want to make the best product we can with great value and the best technology,' said Schiller.

'One of the wonderful things about the Mac is that a customer can buy a Mac, use it for a couple of years and they'll find that it still works great -- they didn't realize how forward-looking some of these technologies were. That's not always true in the PC world. Sometimes building the most forward looking technologies means you can't make it the cheapest, but at least you made the best.'"

I like it. I figure there is no actual way they could have made a computer more USEABLE. The monitor on a swivel arm is a very neat idea. We were all pleased to see the G4 end up in there, and Superdrive for that matter. In fact, the G4-800 Superdrive model will hit the streets here at $4100 Aust. That is VERY competitive. It is likely that we will see different screen sizes, since that wouldn't change the cost of production much. And as for the So-Dimm RAM, I figure they just chose that to keep it compact, and after all, this is not a PowerMac, it is an iMac.
I'm considering buying the bottom-model. I don't think I'd be likely to burn DVDs for a while yet, don't really need another DVD player, and am happy to plug it into my Yamaha stereo rather than Pro Speakers. Also, it has the fastest CD-RW of the lot. At $2999 Australian, it is cheaper than similar brand-name PCs here with CRT screens.
How could they have made it better? Perhaps a TV-out port (like those on the iBook) or a built-in webcam? Honestly, I can see no way it could be improved without it missing that critical "everyday user" price-point. This is a computer built to be USED and ENJOYED, its aesthetics are pleasing but we've all been a little shocked, since the only thing it resembles is a table-lamp.
In a year from now, the PC makers will be trying - and failing - to copy this concept.

I noticed some people lamenting the Apple mouse and it's one button woes. I have been using a Kensington MouseInABox Optical Pro for the last couple of months. It's the only mouse with native OS X drivers that allow for acceleration and assigning tasks to the the extra buttons. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't feel as nice as the Intellimouse Explorer (that now sits in a corner because Microsoft won't create OS X drivers for it.)

However, Kensington has just released a new Optical Elite mouse. It has 5 buttons and a scrollwheel, and a much better feel than the MIABOP. It's $30 right now at the Kenginston Store and you can get free shipping using the Macworld code "macshipfree".

http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_mic_d1463.html

OS X supported my 2-button Logitech optical with scrollwheel right out of the box, no drivers needed. I would have bought an Apple mouse, though, if the cable were just that little bit longer.

Back