What do you use to Graph? Origin, Sigmaplot, Excel?

boyfarrell

Registered
Hi all,

I'm use scientific graphics packages / spreadsheets such as Origin and Sigmaplot. I hate using Excel because it looks so un-proffessional for papers, presentations etc. (I'm a research student)

I'm in the process of switching and was really disappointed to find out there isn't a MacOS version of Origin. What do you science types use for proffesional looking plots?

Cheers. Daniel.

PS - I use MATLAB frequently but again prefer the look of plots produced by the graphical / spreadsheet packages.

I'm all ears if you have and ideas.

I use Matlab for most graphs. However, of late I have been slowly moving to using GNUPlot with AquaTerm. It provides some very nice looking graphs (better than MATLAB on OS X), though it isn't as comprehensive as Matlab's support for graphs.

boyfarrell said:
Hi all,

I'm use scientific graphics packages / spreadsheets such as Origin and Sigmaplot. I hate using Excel because it looks so un-proffessional for papers, presentations etc. (I'm a research student)

I'm in the process of switching and was really disappointed to find out there isn't a MacOS version of Origin. What do you science types use for proffesional looking plots?

Cheers. Daniel.

PS - I use MATLAB frequently but again prefer the look of plots produced by the graphical / spreadsheet packages.

I'm all ears if you have and ideas.
Excel is a spreadsheet; it is not a graphing application. If graphing and curve-fitting is what you want, then it is very difficult to beat the power, price, and ease of use KaleidaGraph. If you can afford it, are willing to sacrifice a bit ease of use, and need almost uncompromised power, then the venerable Igor Pro produces textbook quality graphs. If you want a lower price than KaleidaGraph with comparable ease of use, arguably more power than Igor Pro in a Macintosh-exclusive application, then you absolutely must check out pro Fit.

Back