What does OS X look for to detect a Classic system?

N/A

Registered
When I launch Classic, how do OS X look for OS 9 systems?
Is it the Finder, System, MacOS ROM or any other file?
And what if it finds several OS 9 systems; how does it decide which one of them to use?

N/A

Originally posted by jguidroz
Go to system preferences.

Click on Classic.

Select which OS 9 partition you want to use as Classic.

Hi!
Ok, this is the situation:
When I go to the Classic preference panel, the listbox lists my one and only HD. In other words, nothing to choose.
However, if I go to the Startup Disk panel, it lists for me three (3) different systems (all on my one and only HD).
One of them is OS X, the other two are two OS 9 system folders. Now, one of those two are a new, fresh, OS 9 system that I am hoping will work together well with Classic. The other one is a sort of corrupt version (somethings weird with it). How do I tell Classic to not use that evil system folder, but instead the good one?
I can only choose the disk in the Classic preference panel, not the system folder that it will use.
BTW, I renamed the bad system folder so Classic shouldn't "find" it when it started, and I also removed these files from the system folder (cause I think they might be what identifies a system):

Finder
Inloggning ("Login" in english?)
MacOS ROM
Paneler ("Panels" in english?)
PowerPC Enabled 9.0.4
System
System Resources

How can I make that bad OS 9 system go away, so I can be sure that Classic uses the good one to start OS 9 mode??

Thanks for any help I get

N/A

When I click on Classic in the system prefs, I get every partition highlighted that has a classic system folder. The only thing I can think of is to make sure all your classic system folders are on the beginning partitions of your hard drive. Like if you have three partitions and 2 are classic, make sure a classic sys folder is on the first and second.

Originally posted by jguidroz
When I click on Classic in the system prefs, I get every partition highlighted that has a classic system folder. The only thing I can think of is to make sure all your classic system folders are on the beginning partitions of your hard drive. Like if you have three partitions and 2 are classic, make sure a classic sys folder is on the first and second.

I don't have several partitions. I only have one partition on my HD. Both of the OS 9 plus the OS X system is on that partition/disk. The weird thing is that I only get up my HD in the Classic system panel, while I get all three system folders in the Startup Disk system panel.
So I have no possibility to choose which OS 9 I want Classic to use.

N/A

It looks to me as though Classic works like this:

Classic will launch with whichever system folder is highlighted in the "Startup Disk" System Preference pane. I too had two 9.1 system folders on one partition, so Startup Disk showed both of them. If I highlighted one of them and then went to the Classic System Preference pane and started Classic, it would use whichever one I highlighted.

So, for awhile, I would just start Classic manually after logging in, by first going to the Startup Disk pane, highlighting my target System Folder, and then going to the Classic pane and starting Classic. I couldn't have Classic start automatically, b/c it would start with the wrong System Folder. The reason why it was booting into the wrong system folder, though, is because the Startup Disk pane was defaulting to the wrong System Folder after login. If one could make Startup Disk pane default to the correct System Folder, then automatic Classic-startup could work again.

FINALLY, I figured out how the Startup Disk pane chooses its default System Folder: It's from left to right. So, when you open the Startup Disk pane for the first time after login, the leftmost System Folder will always be highlighted. How do you make a System Folder the leftmost folder in Startup Disk? It's _alphabetical_.

So, in short, make sure that the name of the System Folder that you want Classic to boot into alphabetically precedes the name of the System Folder that you DON'T want Classic to boot into. I named one folder "System Folder (Classic)" and the other "System Folder (OS 9)". That did the trick for me.

I hope this helps someone out there...

Back