What does the "i" from iMac or iPhoto stand for?

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
Infront of my pc-friends, I call myself a mac-freak. I know, I shouldn't fool them so bad. However, they managed to unfake me quite quickly.
They asked me about the meaning of iMac and iPhoto... What is that "i" for?
eMac I could have guessed, but "i"??? :)
Very embarrassing, I know.

Internet?
Interactive?

Actually, "integrated" might work best. The iMac integrates CPU and display. The iApps are well integrated with one another, and with the OS...

could it be it had a different meaning in the beginning of iMacs and iBooks (1998?)?
A friend could swear it was once called internetMac and internetBook..

Maybe it's like the Asimov book title "I, Robot" (which bears little resemblance to the Will Smith film of the same name)

I, Mac.
I, Pod.
I, Book.
I, Photo.

It was originally Internet Mac, but an article I read awhile back said Jobs was saying Interpersonal afterwards. Been looking for that article, but haven't found it.

Heheh. I was part of the Los Angeles Mac User Group back in 1998, and an Apple representitive came and showed us an iMac, and we got to play with it before its original shipping date. He said the "i" stood for internet, as the original iMac was made simply to get you on the internet in less than ten minutes.

I'm pretty certain it stands for "Internet", the original iMac was the first of the 'i' products and represented a shift in philosphy for computer design towards a network-enabled future. It was also the death-knell for the floppy drive.

And the E in eMac stands for "Education" ... the eMac was originally only available to schools and universities. Since then, its come to mean "Economy" too.

Yup. Definitely was 'internet' at the beginning (the original iMac). It still made some kind of sense with iTunes (the first software to get the 'i', afaik), since people usually got their MP3s 'from the net' somehow. ;) ... However: Apple then kinda decided to 'live' off the iMac's success and for a while named everything "i"Whatever. I'm glad, though, that Apple seems to have stopped that frenzy. GarageBand, for example. Or Keynote springs to mind. Or Document. Nah, that's not been released yet. ;)

If they call it "iDocument" I'm going to walk all the way to Cupertino just to smack Apple's marketing department upside the head.

Some time ago there was the rumour of a Word compatible pro word processor by Apple. The rumour came up shortly after 'Keynote' was released, and I guess the name was just an invention of some rumour-monger. There has been on-and-off discussion about it on this forum. Last time in the AppleWorks thread afaik.

brianleahy said:
Maybe it's like the Asimov book title "I, Robot" (which bears little resemblance to the Will Smith film of the same name)

I, Mac.
I, Pod.
I, Book.
I, Photo.

Aye, right

:)

Back