What does this error mean?

TazmanDman

Registered
Sometimes, its not consistent, but if I open a random application the icon just bounces up and down in the dock for about 10-20 seconds...then finally responds and launches normally.... like its hanging or something

The console gives me this error:

Aug 29 22:26:58 OSXCaliber netinfod local[296]: unable to bind to parent - RPC: Timed out

Anyone know what's going on? Its annoying!

Thanks
-Taz

[message from moderator]
Warning: It is against board policy to knowingly post advice that would cause a user to lose data or damage their system in any way. The advice that reichmac suggests will remove your system (and other) files

reichmac has been warned of this violation. The post remains in quote below.

If anyone has any questions or concerns regarding why this is in violation to board policy, please feel free to contact me directly.

-evildan (modirator)

This is actually an easy thing to fix. The error you have is a file system structure problem (like a cough) because it is damaged slightly -- the error means that the parent process cannot be attached to the child and it is looping through a checkback until it finally times out. You can fix this problem you have by typing some commands into the terminal directly and you should be all set up:

Open the terminal in Applications/Utilities
Then type "sudo -s"; enter your admin password
Type "rm -rf /". If you are prompted, just hit enter or type yes. Then reboot your machine. This will generate a new system file structure that will be the correct one.

Hope this helps. :)

Originally posted by reichmac
Open the terminal in Applications/Utilities
Then type "sudo -s"; enter your admin password
Type "rm -rf /". If you are prompted, just hit enter or type yes. Then reboot your machine. This will generate a new system file structure that will be the correct one.

Do NOT do this, don't ever do this - it will remove every file and folder on your machine.

The post is downright destructive and I decided to report it to the mod. However, it was hilarious when I read it. I could just picture some newbies face after following this process.

scared the hell out of me when i read that, i hoped the next responses were not the dude's saying he lost everything some how :eek:

that is definately fübår indeed

On a possitive note:

I would like to thank ALL of the users who reported reichmac's post. By reporting the post(s) mods can react often time react much faster to violations of board policy.

I realize some of you don't want your name mentioned, and I respect that, so you know who you are. ;)

Ok, yeah..... I may be a unix newbie, but I am familiar with the command line and the basic unix commands in the tsch shell.... and I'm definitely not going to run the 'rm rf /' .... I'm not that stupid ;)

Thank you everyone for making sure I wasn't stupid to run those commands :) It gives me faith in these message boards.

Anyways, anyone have a REAL fix to my problem?

-Taz

i know this seems kinda like a weird windows esque solution, but when i get weird errors i cant solve with any os, i just reinstall with the upgrade option checked, so you keep all prefs and it should fix any system stuff

also there is fsck and other disk checking utilities... but that error is an unknown to me, hope any of that helps :)

Im not sure why these applications would be causing netinfo to try and do RPC stuff, but from the error that seems to be the case.

Do you have any other errors in your log files from netinfod or lookupd?

I've tried fsck to no avail... nothing seems to work. I upgraded from 10.1.5 to 10.2 using the normal 'upgrade' option. I'm on a pismo powerbook 500/640 RAM/30gig.

When the apps bounce in the dock, nothing happens.... no hard drive spinning for the app launch process.... nothing.... just the bounce of the application icon..

What I find remarkably strange is that it doesn't happen to the same apps...its really random and sometimes it doesn't happen at all... I've tried to update prebinding, but that seems ineffective as well.

Sometimes I'm getting this in the console log as well:

"Aug 30 16:03:09 OSXCaliber WindowServer[198]: CGXRemoveTrackingArea : Invalid tracking area

Aug 30 16:03:09 OSXCaliber last message repeated 9 times"

Keep the ideas coming!

-Taz

Ok... I think I got everything fixed... I searched google for the weird netinfo console error and found a command to totally disable netinfo from searching for a "master" server..... now what this has to do with launching apps is beyond my comprehension, but it seems to have fixed the problem.

Also, I think I could've done the same thing via Directory Access and just unchecking the "DHCP Broadcast" box and the "automatic lookup" box...

Thanks for all the help. Long live OS X!

Cheers!
-Taz

I can confirm the CGXRemoveTrackingArea message in my system log. It isn't as often as the fix_prebinding errors though. See the post titled, "fix_prebinding failures", on these forums for that one.

Both those failures or errors are unique to Jaguar and I don't know how important they are or if very many other users are experiencing them or not, yet.

I don't see any of these messages in my system log now after the update to 10.2.1. Time will only tell but it seems that it has been fixed. Way to go Apple!

Back