What happened to my ampersand icon?

shocfacter

Registered
Actually I have TWO issues. The first one is: I accidentally drug an icon from the dock out onto the screen and it disappeared with that puff of smoke animation. It was the icon with the button popping out on a spring with the ampersand logo on the button. It usually next to the trash basket. I looked everywhere for it but cant seem to find it. I think that icon represents a shortcut to the apples homepage and is not all that important but damnit I want my icon! :D Does anyone know where the main program for it resides?

Issue number two: I tried to open an execute file, .exe (which i now know cant be opened with mac) and I took a stab at it and assigned text editer to try and, open it. I never checked anything that said "use this to open this type of file always" but yet now everytime i click on a .exe file it keeps trying to open it with text editer and I have tried EVERYTHING to undo it without success. Some of the buttons that seemed like they would be the ones to push, remain grayed out and dont let me push them. So basically my question is, Once youve chosen a program to try and open an extention with and it turns out to be the wrong one, how do you undo it and set it back to where it just asks you 'what do you want to open it with?' instead of continuously trying to open it with that wrong one? By the way, I called apple tech support themselves on BOTH of the above problems and they were stumped. I refuse to believe these what should be BASIC problems cant be fixed. Can anyone on these boards help me with these issues? Thanks

Issue number one: You should be able to go to the Apple webpage in safari, and then drag the address from the address bar onto the dock to create a shortcut icon.

Number two has me stumped as well ... I know how you can tell it easily "always use *this* program to open this file type" but I'm not sure where this info is stored.

symphonix said:
Issue number one: You should be able to go to the Apple webpage in safari, and then drag the address from the address bar onto the dock to create a shortcut icon.

Number two has me stumped as well ... I know how you can tell it easily "always use *this* program to open this file type" but I'm not sure where this info is stored.

Well whadda ya know? It worked! I drug the apple icon down to the dock and sure enough that icon reappeared. Thanks symphonix. I knew it could be done. Can you believe tech support didnt know how to to that? She said she had several people call in and ask about that recently and no one there could figure it out. NOW, if I could just get that second issue fixed id be a happy camper. There HAS to be a way. Actually that problem has been plauging me since my windows days when I had the same problem and to this day that remains one of the only problems I was never able to get resolved with windows. I would have thought it would have been different with Mac. I am a recent switcher and so far I like what I see with mac.

the @ icon is just the standard dock icon for a weblink saved to the dock. the part to the right of the line on the dock is for documents/bookmarks/open windows etc, and the trash. to the left is just for apps.

shocfacter said:
Still no one who can help with my second issue in my first post to this thread?
Go to a file which you're having the problem with and hit Command key - I (or get info from the Finder's File menu).

An info window will open and about 2/3s of the way down you'll find an "Open with:" section. You can choose Change All to choose a different App for opening all files of this type.

simbalala said:
Go to a file which you're having the problem with and hit Command key - I (or get info from the Finder's File menu).

An info window will open and about 2/3s of the way down you'll find an "Open with:" section. You can choose Change All to choose a different App for opening all files of this type.

Thanks simbalala but I tried that several times already and as I stated above, that was one of the buttons that seemed like it was the one to push BUT it remained grayed out and DIDNT let me push it

Back