What happenned to "view new threads"?

well let me add onemore clue to this mystery. i registered at vb's forums, which are also powered by the same version we have just upgraded to, and found that i did not get this behavior. at least not the back button behavior. after making 2-3 new searches, it continues to bring me back to the most recent one when using the back button. and yes, i confirmed this by watching the change in search id numbers as well as content. refresh still does not seem to work as the previous version did.

I've noticed that too Ed. From my observations of how the mechanism is working, I think they have changed from a global "Get New" search, to a "Get New at time of search ID" search. I could be wrong though.
I still think it has to be a cache problem.

Well, then, Ed, would you be able to put forward the question about refreshing the New Threads page for us? I spoke to Scott about it (he IM'd me, I feel so special ;)), and I said I might drop the word there, but if you're already registered you can do it just as easily as I could, and you have more, how shall I say it, presence because you administrate this board.

hmm, i thought the purpose of us posting it here was so scott could figure out how to fix it. i won't have the slightest idea what to do when they start talking about php and sql in the answers. i don't understand half the stuff at that site that is in the troubleshooting section. i guess i can ask the question and explain the problem, but he'll probably have to go and read the answer to fix it.

but here's the latest mess up when using the back button. i had relaunched safari before coming here. when i used the back button i got this result (attached) where the threads are all there but the last post times are all out of order.

edX said:
try again ::angel::

Guys... VB3 is currently in BETA. Which means their are bugs, some they know about, others they may know. They are not giving out "hacks" for VB3 yet nor do they allow posting them.

Posting hugs on Vb's bulletin board is probably a good idea if you feel so inclined. :)

no, i don't think that was the result of a bug. the new attachment manager requires you to press 2 buttons - and i skipped the 'add this file' one. the advantage is that you can now add more than one attachment rather than having to multiple post.

Posting hugs on Vb's bulletin board is probably a good idea if you feel so inclined.

i'm always in favor of posting hugs, so here's one for everybody -

HUG :)

actually, you can't post bugs at vb unless you are a licensed owner of the software. i found this out this morning.

Ed, I've been seeing the same thing... Hopefully they will get it worked out with the final release of vB 3.

And yes, Dlloyd, he IM'd me. Right, Scott?

arden - the vb site running the same version does not have this behavior. i couldn't post this, and neither could you, but scott is going to post what i wrote. i just sent it to him. i wanted to check just a few more things like clearing all macosx.com and www.macosx.com cookies before i did this. maybe we'll have it fixed soon. this issue may be contributing to some of the slow speeds you are noticing recently. searches and bandwidth usage have been increasing at an unexplained rate. i know i seem to be doing a search every couple of minutes after my first one times out on the server.

i would really appreciate it if anyone else who is having this problem would let us know. and if you're using safari and not experiencing this, let us know.

not sure what scott might have just done, but as of 4:12 pm pst, my back button is performing normally at the moment. the only thing i did different was start exiting threads by way of the new view button. then i forgot and hit the back button and it worked. i checked several other threads and it continued to work. i'll see what it's like again in another 15-20 minutes and report back.

actuallly mine isn't. however i seem to have stumbled upon a work around until it is fixed. when using the new view button to leave a thread, you seem to create a new search with a unique id attached. i can then read threads and go back like when i first login. but if i attempt to go back to the original search results, or do another search from that results page, i continue to get the original id associated with that search. so leaving a thread every so often with a new search appears to be a work around, but not the total solution.

I'm almost affraid to use it now that it's working, both the back button on Safari and the back button on my mouse.

you guys have be so confused. I have no clue what you are all talking about. everything works fine for me.

Back