What happens if you never upgrade to 10.2

Kona

Registered
Hows it going all? I am currently using 10.1 very happily, but am trying to decide if I want to shell out the cash for 10.2. While some of the features would be nice, none of them really seem worth the money to me. So my question is what happens after 10.2. When the next major upgrade comes around will I be able to upgrade from 10.1? Also what kind of time frame are we looking at before the next major upgrade. Finally if I do upgrade to 10.2 will I have to spend another 100 bucks or so to upgrade the next time they come out with a big upgrade? So for all the questions. Thanks

OS X 10.2 is not an upgrade for 10.1. It replaces it. In that sense you could wait as long as you like and then purchase whatever future version pleases you. When you install it it will simply replace OS X 10.1.

The only downside I can think of is that possibly future version might not be able to import your current settings.

Oh that helps alot. Just one follow up. When they do put out a new verision will it contain the feature now in 10.2? Thanks

The next version of Mac OS X, codenamed Panther, will of course retain the functions of Jaguar. Some might be updated, others that make no sense to Apple anymore, might be taken. But basically, you don't _need_ to update to 10.2 ever.

However, Panther will probably take at least half a year from now. And you'll see applications that are developed for 10.2 only, such as iCal and iSync (but from other developers, too), as they are based on functions that aren't available in earlier versions.

Now, of course you can update to 10.2 when you first come across such an application, but that might be rather sooner than later.

Back