What If? (2)

BIGDOGquake3

Get It, BIG MAC! ::ha::
1. I need more space on my HD and since I don't use OS 9 any more... What if I went into "Disk Utility" and delete the OS 9 Partition. Would I mess any thing up on OS X? Or could some one tell me what would happen :confused:

2. After I delete OS 9 and if I (when it comes out) bye 10.3, well... will I run out of space? (If I delete OS 9 I will gain 2 Gigs and I can clean up my X partition and gain a Gig) :mad:

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 25
Yes. Deleting the OS9 partition will disable Classic. You could get a firewire drive and hang that off the machine. Alternately, you might think about upgrading the internal drive. Drives are cheap; pricewatch.com puts a 40GB drive at just over $100 these days...

Chances are reformatting your Mac OS 9 partition will mean you won't be able to use Classic. However, the fact that you HAVE a Mac OS 9 partition means that you must have A) installed Mac OS X on an already partitioned drive, or B) reformatted/repartitioned the drive prior to installing Mac OS X so you could keep the operating systems on different partitions.

Check your Mac OS X partition and see if you have two folders named System and System Folder. If so, then you may have a functional Mac OS 9 on your Mac OS X partition. You may still be able to run Classic from that copy of Mac OS 9. If you don't have both folders, then you probably have your Mac OS X on one partition and your Mac OS 9 on the other, so reformatting/erasing (whatever you want to call it) will deny you access to Classic from then on.

For the record, Apple only ships (to my knowledge) systems with ONE partition, with Mac OS 9 and X installed on the same part. (although I haven't seen how Macs are configured now that they won't boot into Mac OS 9--what are the factory installed folders on new Mac hard drives these days?).

--PC

You are right about how Mac puts 9 and X on the same partition. But if you get a new computer you only get X, not 9. If I posted this about 2 months ago than I might go and do what you said. But sice X.3 Is comin out soon, well i will just hold out and take Kenny's advice and get A bigger HD. But thanks for your input! :D

Under the Classic panel in System Preferences, you can designate and change the drive partition in which Classic boots from. Just change OS9 to another drive and then when it works, delete it from the original partition/drive.

Ok, Im going to delete the OS 9 partition! What will happen?

-I Don't want the OS X Partition to get messed up. If any thing I want the deleted OS 9 partitions space to be added to the OS X one to make one Partition (This is what I think will happen) :confused:

nope if you format the OS 9 partitionyou ll have an OS X partition and an empty one.. con cannot join the partition without reformatting the whole thing... sorry

Bobw,

How much experience have you had with the program? I'm thinking about buying it.

Doug

Doug

Have no experience with the program. Have read some other forums where people thinks it's great.

Back