What if there is none?

martinatkinson

Registered
Hello!

I am having trouble with the installation of an old beta of Jaguar. For some reason the disk will not boot up on my computer, it just gives me the flashing system folder.

So, I decided to install it via the Terminal...here is what I did:

cd /Volumes/Quicksilver\ HD\ Beta
gzip -dc /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 1/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz | pax -r
gzip -dc /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 1/System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz | pax -r
gzip -dc /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 2/System/Installation/Packages/AdditionalApplications.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz | pax -r
gzip -dc /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ 2/System/Installation/Packages/AdditionalFonts.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz | pax -r

This worked perfectly...it put all the files on my beta hard drive...all that is but the base system files :(

For some reason, BaseSystem.pkg does not have a PAX file, only a BOM file. And I can not boot off my beta disk unless the package is installed.

So my question is, what if there is none PAX file in a package? What do I do then? Does anyone know of an alternate way to extract package contents if the package does not have a PAX file? Or is the PAX file for this package hidden somewhere?

Any help would be most greatly appreciated!

Back