What is a client?

Whitehill

Registered
I just tried to follow the directions to set up my server as a Software Update server. It was easy enough. Then I tried to set up my "clients" to use the server for updates.

In Workgroup Admin I clicked my list of MacOSX machines, clicked Preferences, clicked Software Update, and entered the URL for my server.

Now, over on a client I clicked Software Update and ... It connected to Apple as before.

Did I miss a step? The more general question is: What is the definition of "client"? Is it simply an entry in one of the machine lists in Workgroup Admin? I have the 10-client license. Where is this limit maintained?

If you don't make changes to the _clients_, they'll always connect to Apple, won't they...?

fryke said:
If you don't make changes to the _clients_, they'll always connect to Apple, won't they...?
On a "client" running 10.4.3, the Software Update preference pane does not offer a way to change the server. It doesn't even display what server it is using. I know it talks to Apple because of the items presented for possible update. So I can't make the change there. Or can I?

On the server, I made changes as outlined in my previous message.

What changes do you have in mind?

fryke said:
I spent more than an hour on the phone with Apple tech support. Now Software Update works. Here's the answer.

On the client, open Netinfo Manager and delete / -> config -> mcx_cache, and then restart. Then do Software Update and at the top it will display the server name in ()-s. If there is a better way, let me know.

Aside from clearing this cache item, all changes were applied on the server, Mr. Fryke.

Whitehill: Don't have to call me "Mr. Fryke". fryke's good enough. ;) ... I didn't know what you'd have to do, I only - correctly, it seems - assumed that as long as the clients aren't changed in some way, they'd continue to connect to Apple's SU service.

edadams: Thanks. I am collecting a dismaying number of "enablers" for things that should work right out of the "server" box.

fryke said:
I didn't know what you'd have to do, I only - correctly, it seems - assumed that as long as the clients aren't changed in some way, they'd continue to connect to Apple's SU service.
Your assumption was incorrect, Fryke, Mr. or not. I was just following Apple's directions on how to modify the clients - from the server. I assumed - incorrectly, it seems - that it would work without further intervention.

There's too much assuming going on in this thread. Let's cut it back so maybe our experiences will help others before they repeat all this stuff.

(Erh... You said you had to change the client's NetInfo database. If only to delete a cache, that's still a client-side modification.)

fryke said:
(Erh... You said you had to change the client's NetInfo database. If only to delete a cache, that's still a client-side modification.)
Uhhmm, yes, following advice from tech support - Apple's documentation contains no such instructions. If that's what's required, it's now recorded here. As an elderly and venerable forum-meister with 8700+ posts, please volunteer to carry the news to Apple. You swing a lot more weight than a lousy civilian like me.

:) I'm not sure whether that's actually the case. I just as often don't get any response when reporting bugs and missing information to Apple. Just like most people, I guess... I'm also not quite sure what and where to report (you're the one actually using this, I haven't touched Mac OS X Server since Jaguar, I think...)...

Back