What is best way to mount the AppleTV to the wall?

Bought an AppleTV yesterday, but because of my setup I need to mount it on the wall (flat against the wall).

ANyone know the best way?

I was thinking using 3 or 4 of those 3M Ahvesive stips like these except they dont have a hook -- you stick them on something (usually a picture frame), then pull the sticky thing down and it sticks on to the wall.

They claim 3 strips can hold ~3-4kg, which is more than enough for the AppleTV, but I'm concerned about the AppleTV getting so hot the adhesive will weaken.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

One problem with mounting it flat on the wall is that the IR sensor for the remote will not be pointing in a very useful direction. Just a thought.

Thanks eric -- didn't know about that. rather expensive of course, esp. adding overseas shipping, but a great option.

I was hoping for a DIY option though, using stuff from the hardware store? I've spent so much these last few weeks getting this home theatre stuff ready I don't want to spend much more (will post pics when done -- AppleTV and a HD projector is very cool!).

no shelf space natobasso as it is going above my couch, plus it needs to connect to the projector which is at ceiling level.

@lurk
true, though i find the IR sensor is incredibly sensitive. At the moment the AppleTV is behind me, and I can happily point the remote in any direction and it picks it up. It's a small room, so i guess it bounces all over the place.

You could test the 3M strips for a couple of hours on some other wall with a good "falling ground" below the AppleTV. Cushions and stuff and not mounting it too high. If it doesn't fall off after 24h, I guess the heat can't be too bad for the strips. It certainly would be the nicest _looking_ solution.

I think you should go for the adhesive strips, they can hold up to like 5 pounds or more and they look nicer than the wall mount.

thanks guys.

well I bought the strips, but unfortuantely it didn't work. I actually think they *would* have been strong enough, except that the Apple TV's rubber base is about the only surface that they don't stick to!! very annoying to say the least.

back to the drawing board I guess. anyone have any other ideas?

You can take the rubber base off to get it to stick, it just is kind of stuck onto the plastic.

You could create a footprint out of wood, find some straps to mount the appletv, then attach the wood to the wall, with the appleTV attached to the wood with the straps. The wood would only need to be 1/4 inch thick, and it might help with heat. You may want to staple the straps on the non-wall side of the wood, so it mounts flush against the wall.

01.jpg

See. It's metal, though you probably won't be able to get the bottom back on without gluing.

cheers guys, not bad ideas at all. I wonder if I can build a simple "AppleTV Shoe" out of wood. I notice there are small ~5mm gaps around the edges. I could get a slab of wood and glue or screw together little wooden tabs to slot inside the recesses snugly.

that's just crazy enough to work!

If it's possible, I would give the tabs a slight upward slope to counter gravity.

picture2qv3.png

(The lovely illustration is a bit exagerated, of course.)

He bout you take of the top, put a few screws through it into the wall, put the cover back and and your done!

Back