What is CGDrawBitmap? and what's wrong with it?

jbaugh

Registered
Since upgrading to 10.4.1 I've noticed severe slow down in operations in FCE HD. Frequent spinning beachball. I notice in my console log a strange message:

"Johns-Mac /Applications/Final Cut items/Final Cut Express HD.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Express HD: The function CGDrawBitmap is obsolete and will be removed in a Tiger update. Unfortunately, this app, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance."

Is this a common, known problem? Is there anything I can do about it except to wait for Apple to fix it?
John

A lot of changes were made to the underlying frameworks. Most of my code now gives me warnings saying to no longer use certain functions under Tiger unless I need to support past systems.

Lt Major Burns said:
so, by updating tiger, apple have made their own software that is less than a year old, obsolete.... nice
This is not the first time that application software was obsoleted by an OS upgrade and it won't be the last. From what I see, MacOS X 10.4 seems to be trapping calls to CGDrawBitmap and emulating it with new functions for now. You are just going to have to upgrade FCE before the obsolete function is removed or forgo future OS updates.

MisterMe said:
This is not the first time that application software was obsoleted by an OS upgrade and it won't be the last. From what I see, MacOS X 10.4 seems to be trapping calls to CGDrawBitmap and emulating it with new functions for now.

You are just going to have to upgrade FCE before the obsolete function is removed or forgo future OS updates.

I'm going to have to upgrade FCE??? I don't think so. I believe if FCE is ugraded, APPPLE is going to have to do the upgrading. I shelled out good money for FCE HD with expectations that the newest and greatest OS would run the dang thing.
John

jbaugh said:
I'm going to have to upgrade FCE??? I don't think so. I believe if FCE is ugraded, APPPLE is going to have to do the upgrading. I shelled out good money for FCE HD with expectations that the newest and greatest OS would run the dang thing.
John
As I made clear in my previous post, you don't have to upgrade anything.

MisterMe said:
As I made clear in my previous post, you don't have to upgrade anything.

Previous post to which MisterMe referred:

MisterMe said:
You are just going to have to upgrade FCE before the obsolete function is removed or forgo future OS updates.

If anything is clear it is that you DID post that I would have to ugrade something, FCE in particular. I'm still not sure what your point is. I'm guessing you meant to say that "Apple" was going to have to ugrade FCE. Am I correct in assuming your post was a typographical error? I had hoped someone more technologically sophistocated than I would give me a suggestion to allow me to get my work done on FCE under 10.4.1 while I wait for Apple to fix the problem.
John

Back