WHat is .MAC all about?

Bio-Gene

Registered
I have seen some information about the .mac on the Apple website but I have no word on how it is? Who has it here on the forums and what do you think of it? Is it good, what do you get in the package and what can you do with it?

it's a set of subscription-based webtools that work well on the mac.

you get 100mb webspace, which you can use as a hard drive (iDisk) which can be synced from any mac. you get your own .mac homepage, and email addresses which you can use with iChat AV and Mail.
you can publish from iLife directly to your webpage, your iWeb site can go directly to that, as well as iphoto pages or slideshows. it's basically apple's wy of making the internet easy.

the downsides? $99/year is a lot for a tenth of the space you even get on most pendrives these days, and also the websites created by iLife, while looking ok, are quite badly optimised usually, and don't follow standards.

Ahh I see so buying my own space from someone else and making my own website using lets say a CMS or my own coding would be way better than dishing out $99/year! I see!

it's a set of subscription-based webtools that work well on the mac.

One important feature is not mentioned, and is the reason i took it.

You can exchange information between computers (e.g. email, rules, agenda etc.). As i have several email addresses and multiple computers and got mad of typing it al over again, this is the solution for synchronising multiple macs with the same email information. I do not use idisk, email address, website etc. there are other / better solutions to that.

Good luck, Kees

I prefer to get my own hosting elsewhere, I use Bluehost who are cheap for very large am,outns of space and do autoinstalls for a bunch of CMS/Blog/gallery/ecomemrce packages so you can have a cms up in about 2 minutes.

'... I have no word on how it (.Mac) is?' ... '... what do you get in the package and what can you do with it?' - it is an Apple paid web site. You are provided with five (5) '.Mac' e-Mail addresses, 1 GB of on-line storage space, and numerous software application and tutorial freebies and some software titles at reduced prices; as well as, additional services.

'Who has it here on the forums and what do you think of it?' ... 'Is it good' (?)' - I do not (have it); but, visit many who do. Like AOL subscribers - some like it ('.Mac') and continue to re-subscribe, others do / have not - and do / did not re-subscribe.

I find the Apple Feature Overview web page quite informative and specific, as to the services and additional features provided - with a '.Mac' account.

Visit someone who is subscribed to '.Mac', and ask for a tour of its features and offerings. If you are a member of a Macintosh User's Group - consider asking for a future meeting demonstration of the service.

Ihave had it since its inception. Great for sharing photos with friends and family. Backup, IChat, .Mac mail.etc..Not $99 but $69.99 at Amazon.

It's nice, but hopefully they'll revamp it. It just can't compete when I can get similar services for a fraction of the price
(and when school gives me a nearly unlimited amount of space on their server for free)
picture6dh4.png

(of course, I can't use all of it..)

Back