What is the best Newsgroup reader for MacOS X?

cockneygeezer

Registered
Calling all Mac Users,

Having used Entourage X for Newsgroup reading for a long time, it seems that it's becoming out of date, as it can't handle certain attachments.

I have looked around VersionTracker, Downloads.com for NewsReaders for MacOS X, and there are quite a few.

Could I please ask which is considered to be the all round best newsgroup reader?

Also, could the users who make a suggestion, take a screenshot of the Reader and post it on this thread. Also, a URL from where you got the software. Shareware, Freeware and commical would be considered.

This question might of be answered in the past, and if it has, I apologise.

Thanks for you time,

Hot damn, this Halime is pretty sweet! Finally, a Cocoa newsreader that can handle sorting posts by date and thread simultaneously. Why the others don't do this simple task is beyond me. Now I'll have to see how well it handles multipart binaries...

No kidding. Entourage and Mozilla both have some of the most underpowered newsreaders on earth. They have trouble with binaries, and they can't maintain a threaded hierarchy when sorted by date.

I've been fiddling with Halime for the past hour or so, and it seems to handle binaries quite well.

Another newsreader that's worth trying is News Flash. The interface isn't terribly pretty, and it can choke on groups with obscene numbers of postings, but overall, it's fairly solid. Halime still seems better, though. ;-)

I use a combination of MT-Newswatcher and Thoth. I just use Thoth for downloading binaries. I use MT-Newswatcher for posting messages and viewing attachments. I think MT-Newswatcher is the easiest Usenet client available but it has it's share of issues. Thoth's interface is similar to MT-Newswatcher (they're both derivatives of the Newsatcher app) once you get it setup. But Thoth is shareware. What I usually do is queue up a bunch of downloads in Thoth, then browse discussion or image newsgroups in MT-Newswatcher. MT-Newswatcher has much better inline binary viewing than just about any other OS X Usenet client I've used.

Back