What is the best way to backup/mirror data?

Woah... this is an old thread... heh :)

I NEVER let my computers sleep (screen saver and monitor off are as far asleep as they get). They're always doing something or other.

I no longer have a use for a 3rd party program as I have written a few scripts myself (that I still need to get into Cron to run as daemons).

At home I'm all set, I just need to figure out how to get the script to run as a Cron job on the Mac server (10.2 Server) at the office so my coworker won't be overwhelmed when I take my leave of absence (surgery).

Thanks for the info tho, I'm sure I'll give it a try on other systems (friends, family, clients).

Originally posted by DavidBaker
Try downloading PsyncX from VersionTracker. It does everything you specified in your first message. It also A) makes bootable copies of your hard drive if you back the entire drive up B) has a scheduler built-in (it uses the cron job ability of your computer and C) it is FREE!!

Note: if you schedule a backup late at night you will need to make sure the computer doesn't go into "deep sleep", but rather into "light sleep". "Light sleep" is where the computer screen and hard drive wind down, but the entire computer doesn't go comatose.

David

You should consider keeping a backup off-site. An extra internal or external HD is nice, but if you get burgled or you house burns down (god forbid), it's gone.

I burn essential files on CD every two weeks or so and keep them in my desk drawer at work.

Jan

Back