what is the going price for....?

Harvestr

Registered
Just wondering if any of you know the going rate for the following services (small shop or big, but let me know what kind)

1. getting a video burned on a DVD
2. basic video editing - having a VHS tape converted to DV, trimmed, rearanged. Audio added when needed, some video and audio transitions. Not talking broadcast, just basic home videos and videos for smaller organizations.
3. desigins websites - I do HTML and Flash.
4. managing the editing and updating of a website.
5. Flash animations or apps, non website oriented.

I plan to do these freelance but want to have prices set so others can refer friends to me and not have to worry about waiting for estimates.

Don't do everything, focus.

I would try first with 3 and 4 that can bring the most $$$, if you are able to find customers. Too many poor designers offer their poor services, so unless you are really good, go another road. If you are really good (and you can convince potential customers that you are that good), then you can make nice $$$.

1 and 2, frankly, would you pay for that ?

5: no ideas.

Harvestr said:
I thought Flash is a Web-only tool. I thought Director was used for all of that other non-web multimedia stuff...

3/4s of my business is correcting poorly designed websites, so while I might agree with what Chevy said I also don't (or I can't eat/pay bills!). <G>

People do pay for #1 and #2...quite a lot actually. Check with some local photo/camera shops...they usually offer those kinds of services. I've heard upwards of 30 to 50$ to convert movies from VHS to a DVD (per DVD).

One of the best uses for Flash is interactive off-line guides distributed on CDs. Some companies do these for product information for prospective clients, others to tell about their organization.

TommyWillB said:
I thought Flash is a Web-only tool. I thought Director was used for all of that other non-web multimedia stuff...

Flash can be used offline, as Director can be used online. The difference is that from the ground up, Director was conceived to produce offline presentations (CD's, DVD's, etc.,), and has very powerful tools that lend themelves to this more readily.

You can still make a stand alone Flash movies and right it to DVD though.

Hi there. Fellow designer here, and I also work at a company freelance that produces Public Domain/Classic Movies to DVD. Here's my thoughts on your questions:

1. getting a video burned on a DVD

--[You don't even know how complex this question really is. The complexity comes in when you first ask where the video is coming from. The price could range from cheap to expensive, depending on the source and if you have to edit the audio or the video once you rip it to digital.]--

2. basic video editing - having a VHS tape converted to DV, trimmed, rearanged. Audio added when needed, some video and audio transitions. Not talking broadcast, just basic home videos and videos for smaller organizations.

--[Again your simple question got much more complex by adding editing to the service. Just digitizing video takes a fast computer system and lots of $$$ to set up so your system doesn't crash every time you get a 400GB file through your door from a 1 hour video. We are talking at LEAST $5000 in costs to get a decent video editing system together that will make you a profit.]--

3. desigins websites - I do HTML and Flash.

--[Hmm. Do you ever get any sleep?! Not trying to be snide, but I do agree with another poster when he said that you don't have time to do all these different services. If you had an employee you might manage this full a workload. Depending on the number of your clients. Again, this pricing is totally determined by the complexity of the job. Either bill per page or by the hour depending on the job requirements.]--

4. managing the editing and updating of a website.

--[Also a full time job. I have yet to meet a client who doesn't like to make lots of changes; especially if you aren't getting paid by the hour!]--

--[See 4. above.]--

I plan to do these freelance but want to have prices set so others can refer friends to me and not have to worry about waiting for estimates.[/QUOTE]

--[Your best bet is to call around and actually ask companies that are doing what you want to do what their rates are. Trial and error comes into play here, but your rates always come down to what the market will bear. Some markets pay more than others, and some less.

Another good suggestion is to join an AIGA in your area (American Institute of Graphic Arts) and meet with your peers to discuss the issues you are asking. This gets back to the local issue of what the market will bear with regard to price.

Hope some of this helps you, sir. And I wish you the best of luck in your freelance biz! :)

Back