What is this? Very strange.

zippygaloo

Registered
A odd thing happened today while I was in a Comp USA store. I'm not sure what to make of it, but maybe someone could shed some light on what exactly was happening.

I was playing around with a Powerbook when some man off the street pulled out his Palm Pilot, said "don't mind me" then started going around to all of the bar code stickers next to all of the hardware and software. He was holding the infrared beam up to the bar codes and obviously transfering that info into his device.

The stickers had bar codes on them and nondescript words like "area 142" etc. He went from one item to the next very quickly. He appeared a little nervous and was trying to do this unnoticed.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Does anyone know what this guy was doing?

Comparing prices, perhaps? There's bar code readers for some Palm devices...

my schools library has one and it works really well for checking where a book goes

or maybe he's a spy and there were secret messages on the bar codes!
0o
o0
0o
o0

could be he also has a bar code printer and wants to make a false one for something with a vague description and a low price to put on something else he wants. could be he's just a bit 'off' and playing with his toy. :D.

I bet he was price comparisoning for another competior... "Secret Shopper" Bet there is a Best Buy or Circuit City etc... nearby... and he works in plain clothes and is basically price matching....

That is weird.

...as long as he doesn't probe you though ;)

Where's Mulder and Sculley when you need them?

Back