What is wrong - i hate my new macbook

maeveli

Registered
This is my first post - I am about to throw my darn macbook out the window. Why isnt my parallels working? I have successfully installed parallels (I think) but it will not read my microsoft office pro enterprise edition 2003 disk - it just keeps saying - failure on the little black screen. I have tried the ISO image thing and the cd/dvd install thing - can someone please help me? I will do bootcamp instead although i dont think i have a slipstreamed xp sp2 disk. I hate this computer :(

Yeah, I like the mac operating system ok (I have an imac from a couple of years ago) but I have to run some programs in the PC set up as they are not available for mac yet. My machine isnt crashing - it just isnt loading windows at all.

Well if you do have an SP2 disk, install Bootcamp, then use the latest version of parallels, which can read of your Bootcamp partition, in which case you can restart into XP to install Office. It may install more easily.

I had a problem with an original Windows XP SP2 installation CD installing in both Parallels/BootCamp. I made a backup copy of the disc with Toast and _that_ worked fine on both BootCamp and Parallels. I don't quite get how _that_ worked, but it did. Might be worth a try. Although if making an ISO doesn't work, it doesn't sound like burning that would...

This is my first post - I am about to throw my darn macbook out the window. Why isnt my parallels working? I have successfully installed parallels (I think) but it will not read my microsoft office pro enterprise edition 2003 disk - it just keeps saying - failure on the little black screen.

Are you trying to boot with an Office installation CD? Or have you got Windows already installed within Parallels? Office CDs aren't bootable.

I hate this computer :(

The computer isn't causing the problem. I use Parallels with WindowXP, Win2K and SUSE Linux without problems.

Wow, I didn't even think about that. Yeah: _Is_ an operating system installed in Parallels? The black screen clearly points at that you're trying to boot from an Office CD, which quite clearly doesn't work at all: Neither on a real PC than on a Mac with BootCamp or Parallels, _unless_ you install some version of Windows supporting that particular Office version, first.

I dont know what that means - so how do I install an operating system - what disk do I use? I really am completely clueless... so the more step-by-step the better :)

I dont know what that means - so how do I install an operating system - what disk do I use? I really am completely clueless... so the more step-by-step the better :)

On the Microsoft CD that you're trying to install, what does it say? Does it say "Windows" something-or-other, or does it say "Office" something-or-other? If it says "Office", then you're using the wrong disc. Office is the suite that brings Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. There is no "Windows" on that disc. Office is a suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) that runs on Windows, which is the operating system.

If it says "Windows", then you're off to a good start. Windows is the operating system (desktop, icons, etc.). The version that you're going to need in order for Boot Camp to work is Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Earlier versions will not work. If you're installing through Parallels, it's possible that you can use any version of Windows, but don't quote me on that since I haven't had experience with Parallels yet.

Windows 2000 works fine, but anything older is trickier because you need a bootable floppy image - Win98 CDs aren't bootable. It's certainly possible, it's been discussed on the Parallels support forum.

I would say its not the macbook you hate. It is your inability to understand Windows is not a replacement for Mac OS X. I think it is functioning just as it intended. Go get a winbook.:rolleyes:

I would say its not the macbook you hate. It is your inability to understand Windows is not a replacement for Mac OS X. I think it is functioning just as it intended. Go get a winbook.:rolleyes:

I find responses like "I hate this computer" usually represent people that don't want to accept that they do now know how to use a particular object or device. I've lost count at how many times I've been chewed out by "my superiors" in the past and all because of their inability to perform the task which was quite simple to begin with. They just didn't want to admit to someone who knows computers but is subordinate to them that they themselves do not know how to do it and need to be taught.

Somehow I figure that this is very similar. The original posted did not want to admit that they did not know what they were doing and decided to take it out on the computer. It's obvious considering that this person was trying to use an Office installation disc (instead of a Windows installation disc) to install Windows on the Intel Mac.

Back