What do you backup to?

• Tape

• Hard Disk

• CD-R

• DVD-R

Results are only viewable after voting.

Durbrow

Registered
I was wondering what people are using for backing up their hard drives. That is, has anyone hit upon an easy daily system?

I backup to my DV camcorder using DVBackup (search versiontracker). I cron a terminal script to create an image and then copy of across the file using the app.

R.

Err - you forgot to give the option 'None - I'm totally secure that I'll never lose my data....wait...what was that? Oh no!....'

Heh

I use IMsafe to backup my import files daily, automatically, to two different hard drives.
I backup to CD once a week.
I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backop the entire drive to another drive every two weeks.

Yep, "none, I feel lucky" and iDisk could be in it. :)

I backup to CDs (rather lazily though)

RAID?

I have all my important data on a NetBSD server running two 120GB IDE drives as a mirror.

One could do the same thing with a software RAID 1 on OSX. Of course there's a speed penalty, but my theory is, desktops have fast but relatively volatile RAID 0 stripes (basically as scratch space, since you stand twice the chance of losing everything on a two way stripe) with all critical data living on a mirrored volume, either on the same machine, or on a server (RAID 5 would work great too, but jeez, who can afford that at home?).

With data use and hard drive size growing so fast, this seems the best option, my 34GB of mp3s will barely fit on a DLT (if I'm lucky) and it would take hours and cost big bucks for the drive and media. Add in the rest of my data, and you're talking 12+ DVD-Rs, plus restore time. Hard drives are basically a disposable commodity nowadays, so it seems one has to balance out their poor reliabilty by leveraging their low cost.

...doesn't really work with an iMac on a small desk, though... so I guess I'll say "Hard Drive" and use an external firewire when I'm in that position.

-alex.

[edited to correct usage of "RAID 0" and "RAID 1"]

Carbon Copy Cloner is designed to make a bootable mirror, right? And Retrospect Express is designed only for incremental backups, right? Or can Carbon Copy Cloner easily do incremental (i.e. daily) copying? It seems a very involved process according to its website. Any feedback on the two programs appreciated.

Carbon copy cloner to copy the whole system + apps + files over to an external Firewire drive - always before a new Apple upgrade! :)

Back