• Mac OS (9 or X) only

• Windows only

• Unix/Linux Only

• Combination: Mac + Windows

• Combination: Mac + Unix/Linux

• Combination: Unix/Linux + Windows

• Combination: Mac + Unix/Linux + Windows

Results are only viewable after voting.
My actual usage at home is 30% Mac OS X, 30% Mac OS 8.x+, 30% Rhapsody 5.1, and 10% Irix 6.2. As for what is running on my systems, five are running Mac OS 8.1 or 8.6, one Mac OS X/Mac OS 9.2, one A/UX 3.0, one System 7.1, one Irix 6.2, two Irix 5.3, two Solaris 7, two Rhapsody 5.1, and one OPENSTEP 4.2.

So does this mean your monthly electric bill could pay off a new machine? And I thought my secondary heater in the form of one Mac OS X, one Solaris 2.6, one Solaris 8, and one OpenBSD 2.8 was bad...

I've pretty much only booted back into 9 to play DVDs. And my flat's too small and nice to have anything other than nice-looking Powerbooks in it.

That's my excuse anyway! :)

I have not needed to boot into 9.2.1 since I got X.1, except for last night: I totally screwed up my dock by accidentally using an older version of Trasparent Dock (meant for 10.0.x, not X.1) to revert the dock to its original state (which the just released new version of T.D. says you must do, using the last release of that program, but I accidentally used the original version) and since I had forgotten to remove my old 10.0.x dock backup, I accidentally replaced the X.1 dock with the 10.0.x dock while using the wrong version of T.D., so I needed to replace the dock. Not knowing how I could do this, I tried going through the install CD, hoping that if I removed the dock altogether and ran the installer, it would replace the dock and be done with it. No such luck: not only did this not work, but all my users stopped working, so I started from scratch, and messed up. In the end, I backed up the important stuff on the external drive (mostly apps) and did a reformat-clean-install of OS X, with NO 9.2.1! I decided that since 9.2.1 works just fine on the Firewire drive, I don't need an extra copy taking up space on my internal drive. The only thing I regret so far about this clean install is that I did not set up a separate swap partition like so many people recomend. I feel so free! My machine is not tied to the old OS anymore! I don't need it, I have it when I choose to use it, but it is not there at the root directory, reminding me of its oldness. Anyway, it was a long night, what with reinstalling X.1 twice, then re-updating the system, and re-downloading iTunes 2 (it was replaced with the older one the first time I ran the install CD for OS X.1

Originally posted by blb
So does this mean your monthly electric bill could pay off a new machine?

Actual I keep all of the monitors off (on the systems I keep up all the time) except the one that I am actually using. Plus I usually only have 5 up at any one time. It really isn't that bad. It would take a couple years to pay of a new system with our current electric bill.

I run X on the cube, 9.2.1 on the imac and 8.6 on a 5300 PowerBook.
Sheepguy42, with all the RAM you have, placing your swap on a separate partition would probably yield you no increase in performance.

Originally posted by SCrossman
Sheepguy42, with all the RAM you have, placing your swap on a separate partition would probably yield you no increase in performance.
Yeah, that's why I didn't bother messing with it again. I only called not doing it a regret because I would be curious to see what benefit it would have. Also, with only a 20G internal drive, and my Maxtor external acts up a lot, I need that storage space. I have over 3,300 mp3's on the external drive, and I like to keep all my personal files and apps etc.. on the internal.

Wow, don't I feel like a total Geek. :) I have a G4 867 with OS X, P-III 500 with DOS 6.22/Win95/Win2k/Debian Linux, and a Sun Blade 100 with Solaris 8. Up to know Win2k has gotten the most use as an all-around desktop, but the G4 just arrived today and I am sure it will take over as my main machine. I have been running OS X on a test G4 350 at work and am loving it.

Back