What is your speed encoding an audio cd to MP3s?

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
I usually got 5.6x to 9x on my PowerBook G4 667 with combo drive. But I always find my Althon XP twice faster... I guess it is the problem of the combo drive because it cannot read audio tracks quickly, right? What about your Mac?

My iBook G3-500 with 66mhz bus and combo drive only pulls about 3.9 - 4.2 at high (192 kbps) quality. Lower quality makes a difference.

I get on average--provided nothing else is going on--between 19.x and 23.x speeds on my 1Ghz DP with a gig of ram. If I am using other programs I can still manage 8.x - 14.x speeds.

You could try ripping the raw data from the CD (AIFF for mac, .wav for PC) rather than MP3 format. That would take the overhead of the MP3 compression out of the question.

I actually have 2 internal optical drives--I fit a CDRW drive in the Zip bay underneath my OEM DVD ROM drive. Importing to AIFF w/ my DVD ROM drive is pathetic: I get a steady 4.5x speed. From my CD-RW drive, (a Lite-On mechanism , 24x10x40) once it gets going, will import at up to 30x. There's a trade off with the DVD rom drive, while it can read both DVD's and CD's, it doesn't excel in either of them. I don't recall exactly, but I think the DVD ROM drive is a 10x speed. I think the same would probably hold true with the SuperDrive/Combo Drive.

Hope this helps....

Back