What keeps you from using OS X exclusively

Originally posted by gdanko
Nothing. There are no traces of OS9 on my G4. I am pondering the move to UFS.

I deplore you not to. Unless you're some sort of UNIX junkie who can't help but rip apart their OS... Leave well enough alone.

i tried it. It's slow, weird behaving and almost no advantages. Just think thrice before you do.

And I meant it about it being slow (plus you get to see EVERY file - like when you right-click a HD icon in the dock!)

Thanks for the tip. I am just so anti-Classic I was thinking I'd make sure it can never rear its ugly head :D

But in all seriousness, anything I need to do on my Mac can be done without classic.

Sure, there are some utilities that have better Classic equivalents, but OS X is still new and in time will have better versions of said utilities.

I use the Gimp, GraphicConverter, and other apps to do what I need to do.

I can't see why Apple would put together a UNIX based OSX and leave out the ability to mount other UNIX volumes since there is a ton of good stuff out there that could easily be moved over to the Mac. I've got several removables with Linux EXT2 volumes and a set of files that I just can't access under OSX.

It also seems carzy to have to run another UNIX based system like Linux on the Mac just to read these disks, only to transfer them to a DOS FAT partition which the Mac OSX can be made to see. What were Apple development folks thinking at the time?

Sorry, that's my bigest gripe at the moment with OSX.

Back