What Mobile / "Cell" Phone Do You Own?!

MDKY ... so it is 'information' or something like that? ... something like Directory Enquiries here in the UK?! it just seems weird, you would use it in a sentence like that! I've never said, here's the "192" for ya ... or whatever ... but hey, thats why i am a few thousand miles away i guess! :p

Neyo

Originally posted by Izzy
This thread is making me feel inferior when it comes to my cell phone. I don't even know what kind it is. It's the phone you get when you sign up for a verizon wireless contract (black body flip-style phone).

I love having voice mail, but I wish I could send/receive text messages from/to my girlfriend in England. :(

If you paid more than 50$ for it then it might be a motorola, else its probably an LG :)

If you had GSM you could probably send SMS messages to your girl friend in the UK (depending on her network -- I havent had much luck with orange UK, but SMS seems to work with T-Mobile and Vodafone).

Admiral

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
MDKY ... so it is 'information' or something like that? ... something like Directory Enquiries here in the UK?! it just seems weird, you would use it in a sentence like that! I've never said, here's the "192" for ya ... or whatever ... but hey, thats why i am a few thousand miles away i guess! :p

Neyo

yeah 411 = information (directory inquiries for that matter... "yeah I am trying to find the phone number for a joe smoe, 12345 ambelside drive in California" lol :D )

I guess 411 has penetrated our culture.. hey neyo you could start a trend there ;)

"here's the 192 for you: ... " :D

5165.jpg

Nokia 5165 through AT&T Wireless

I'm hating the battery life on this phone that has rapidly grown old. I'll have like, two bars and the phone will die within 5 minutes or so.

I suppose I could go out and just try a new battery, but I rarely use it anywa. :rolleyes:

Motorola t720 w/at&t GSM M-mode service. Games: Tetris ,Qbert, Bowling, and Monkey ball. Tony Hawk sux on mobile phones , don't believe the hype. Using AIM and checking email on the road is very cool!

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
If you paid more than 50$ for it then it might be a motorola, else its probably an LG :)

If you had GSM you could probably send SMS messages to your girl friend in the UK (depending on her network -- I havent had much luck with orange UK, but SMS seems to work with T-Mobile and Vodafone).

Admiral

Thanks for the heads up Admiral...I was just looking at the box and it's the LG model.

I was looking through the manual as well and it looks like I'm out of luck here too because my phone is a tri-band CDMA.

...my girlfriend is using the Orange network in the UK...looks like that's strike 3 :(

hehehe :)
Are you sure it is triband CDMA ?
Usually phones are dual band CDMA (800 Mhz CDMA and 1900 Mhz CDMA) and single band analog (800 Mhz analog).

I know korean uses the 1700Mhz band for their CDMA communications... maybe this is a "world" cdma phone but I dunno :)

I have a friend (one of many) in the UK who used orange and we could NEVER sms because of network issues :p --- I think she got one-2-one (which eventually became t-mobile) and we were able to SMS. My X has/had vodafone in the UK and it seemed to work fine when we SMSed one another

Thats cool, Trim1. I had (actually have.. but am selling) a t720, but it was the motorola one.

The 'brew' enviroment for the 720 varies with providers. The at&t one is Java, the Verizon one is something else.

The Java developer's kit is free, and the verizon one costs like $2,500, and your app has to be approved by verizon in order to offer it to customers. You can guess which platform has the most freeware :).

Also, verizon only lets you use MSN. You can't use AIM on the phone. I can't stand that. AND, in the provided OPENwave browser, you can't make book marks, or change your homepage - its all locked by verizon and msn. (You can change these things with a simple visit to the service menu... :) ).

With homepages locked at vzw.msn.com, and book marks required to be on your msn home page (wich requires a M$ .NET login), its a waste of time for most people. I would highly recomend sprint or at&t for internet access. Plus, sprint pcs vision (data) is unlimited. Verizon takes data out of your minutes, or they charege by the kb, depending on your plan. Not sure whats avaliable on at&t, but I much prefer the platform.

Originally posted by MDLarson
5165.jpg

Nokia 5165 through AT&T Wireless

I'm hating the battery life on this phone that has rapidly grown old. I'll have like, two bars and the phone will die within 5 minutes or so.

I suppose I could go out and just try a new battery, but I rarely use it anywa. :rolleyes:

I've had 1 of these (5160), my younger brother has a 5165, and my mom has a 5165. They're notarious for bad batteries. Mine lasted about 7 months before doing the same crap. The other two in the house were worse. Sad thing is it's actually cheaper (in my area at least) to buy a new phone than a battery.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
hehehe :)
Are you sure it is triband CDMA ?
Usually phones are dual band CDMA (800 Mhz CDMA and 1900 Mhz CDMA) and single band analog (800 Mhz analog).

I know korean uses the 1700Mhz band for their CDMA communications... maybe this is a "world" cdma phone but I dunno :)

I have a friend (one of many) in the UK who used orange and we could NEVER sms because of network issues :p --- I think she got one-2-one (which eventually became t-mobile) and we were able to SMS. My X has/had vodafone in the UK and it seemed to work fine when we SMSed one another

Yikes...I have no idea about that Admiral...all I remember is seeing "CDMA" and "tri-band" in the manual description.

That's just my luck...Orange is picky about SMS messaging...:p

Originally posted by mdnky
I've had 1 of these (5160), my younger brother has a 5165, and my mom has a 5165. They're notarious for bad batteries. Mine lasted about 7 months before doing the same crap. The other two in the house were worse. Sad thing is it's actually cheaper (in my area at least) to buy a new phone than a battery.
AARGGHHH!!! I was just charging it tonight, and the darn thing won't startup! I get a little light and then *blink* it goes off. Maybe I'll be posting a new picture on this thread? :mad:

Quick! Everybody post their vote for a (AT&T Wireless) cell phone! :cool:

Hmm, either I'm stupid or the phone is. The battery was still dead. :p

I'll probably get a new phone sometime soon though, so thanks for the link!

batteries get killed off relativelly easy after a long time of usage. My x's mother had the GSM version (the 5110) and she loved it, had it for many years, but had to change battery a couple of times because it would not hold charge any more after X amount of usage :)

i see my old phone in this thread..
my first was horrible - a motorola .. flare, in 1995. then sold it, got a nokia, 5000, in 1996, that lasted till the end of 1999 when i changed it to a nokia 3210, or actually my dad got the old phone ... that died a few years ago, and i got a nokia 3330. i sold that as i needed the trial band, so now i'm with my first ericsson ever, a t39m. at least it works on all the continents i need... ;)

Nokia 3650 and I love it.

Had Ericcson phones, the t39 and the t68, but the reception sucked on the 68 everywhere I went, the US, Asia and Europe. I went to the Nokia 7210 and was happy with the quality of it (and it showed me how bad the t68 screen is once the novelty of color wears off).
I found the 7210 lacking in some areas and went to the 3650 and haven't been disappointed yet. Tri-band, bluetooth (effortlessly syncs with my Mac and my Tungsten T pda), I have the bluetooth wireless headset so voice dialling is there. The camera is functional and better than add-ons for the 7210 and t68. It has a video recorder function and their really is some cool software for it.
For instance, I have one that reads and logs the cell signals of various places. So when I get to my office, it reads the signal there and automatically switches to my office profile (lower rings, etc).
I have a 32-mb card and have a few mp3s, dozens of apps I'm trying out on it and I also have a home movie from quicktime to real player (the only real drawback is you have to use real), but I also have a Simpsons episode and Flight Of The Osiris from the animatrix.
And most importantly, the signal is great. Even better than the 7210. The keyboard takes a while to get used to for sms, but if it's a long one, I use my pda and sent it over via bluetooth or IR anyway.

I now have a Nokia 7650great except for the camera which sucks compared with 3650 and especially the Samsung SGH-V200 but no bluetooth

Nokia above models have bluetooth which works well with 10.2.5 only

Randman what app do u use to send photos from digital camera to your cell I need something that reduces the size when transferred like splashphoto for the palm ideas ?

Thanks again for your past help on 7650

I cheat. I use a card reader. I've moved a few photos over (for the caller photo profile) and a photo of me and my wondermutt to replace the network logo at the top. I used PhotoShop and scaled the pics down, then dragged and dropped into the images folder. I use a card reader for mp3s and videos with my pda and did the same for on the phone.

You have to go and clean the .ds_store files later, but that's done easily enough. Do you have a pda? I was able to send a photo both ways using the default photobase app on my Tungsten T. I would think other apps such as AcidImage would also do it.

The 7650 doesn't have a card, does it? You might be able to size a photo down to similar dimensions as you get from the camera and send it over.

Now that I think about it, I believe Nokia has a website at one of the Club Nokias where you can upload and download your pics. Might want to do a search on that if you don't have a site of your own. There's a few other sites such as matrixm or logogo that used to offer that feature, but I don't know if they still do. Or there's always e-mailing a pic to yourself, but you'd have to worry about quality to get it through most moby gateways.

Btw, I have a few apps that allow you to extend the video time to whatever room you have on your card. And an nice app, photographer 2.0, that actually gives you zoom capability without much loss of quality (as it is). Cheers.

Back