What Mouse to use with Maya

gollum84

goonies never say die
I recently purchased Maya 5 Complete and realized that my single button mouse is usless. Most of the tutorials need you to right-click or middle-click, and I can more easily maneuver around the menus with a multi-button mouse, so I need to get a new mouse. Right now I am looking into buying a Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse. My question is this.... Would the center scroll wheel on the mouse be considered a "middle-click button" or should I buy a mouse that actually has 3 physical buttons and no scroll wheel?

I have the mx700, which is just the wireless version of the mx500, it is a great mouse. Yes you can setup the scroll wheel as a middle click. The drivers that logitech supply are ok, but for the ultimate in tuning your mouse for individual applications, try usboverdrive.

It will allow you to set each button on the mouse as you want for each application. Well worth the $20.00 in my opinion.

I've never used the standard one-button Apple mouse. I always used a third party mouse. You can take just about any USB optical mouse with scroll wheel and plug & play. Yes the scroll wheel will be acknowledged as the 3rd button, no programming needed.

I have a logitech 3 button mouse that works great for maya. It has a left and right button with the scroll wheel in the middle. IF you press on the scroll wheel it clicks and acts as another button, so actually it has 4 functions. Was only about $40 and its wireless. I didnt have to install anything to get it to work, Maya recognized it without any problems.

Back