What OS are you running on your PowerBook?

What OS are you using on your PowerBook G4 500?

• Mainly OS X 10.2

• Mainly OS X 10.1

• Mainly OS X 10.2, Sometimes OS 9

• Mainly OS X 10.1, Sometimes OS 9

• Half OS X 10.2, Half OS 9

• Half OS X 10.1, Half OS 9

• Mainly OS 9.2, Sometimes OS X

• Mainly OS 9.1, Sometimes OS X

• Mainly OS 9.2

• Mainly OS 9.1

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ha, ha, ha... ha

Very funny, btoneill! ^_^
You know what's wrose feeling than that?

Having a PowerBook not meeting the basic requirement for the Quartz Extreme feature in OS 10.2.

I have a PowerBook G4 500 with only 8MB of Video RAM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were you running 10.1.5 before running 10.2, fryke?

Should I upgrade to 10.2? Is your PowerBook stable with the newer OS?

You should upgrade to 10.2, definitely... It's much smoother even without Quartz Extreme...

Originally posted by georgelien
Ha, ha, ha... ha

Very funny, btoneill! ^_^
You know what's wrose feeling than that?

Having a PowerBook not meeting the basic requirement for the Quartz Extreme feature in OS 10.2.

There's something much worse then that!

To have a PowerBook with a graphic card that's not supported at all :mad:
I have a PowerBook G3 Lombard and I'm thinking of dumping OS X. It's just to slow and you can't play a little QuickTime without lag. :mad:
Most of the newer programs I have work under OS 9 aswell and I'll get more time out of my battery under OS 9.

when I get myself a new PowerMac, then I'll run OS X fulltime on it.

Viktor

My condolences viktor, but that was why I waited 3 years before I spend my life time saving on my PowerBook G4. Apple stated that OS X is especially built with G4 processors in mind, so I waited for a PowerBook with "[G4 processors] Inside" before making the buy. You dig?

Anyway, I'm sorry.
But I personally stick with OS 9 with all of my G3 and pre-G3 Power Macintoshes.

Cannot wait until you get yourself a new Mac!
^_^

How does your PowerBook 2400 run with Mac OS 9.1, georgelien? Back then I'd almost have bought one, and I think it was a great machine.

Originally posted by fryke
You should upgrade to 10.2, definitely... It's much smoother even without Quartz Extreme...

I'm running 10.2 on my Powerbook g4 500 (512mb ram) and I've found it's a little slower at starting than 10.1.5 - but that may be because I'm using a unix file system. Otherwise it's slightly more stable (though OSX has never crashed on me only application running in it). It did ask me to restart after one of my apps crashed - politely though. I haven't really noticed much of a difference but Reason seems to allow more complex instruments tthan before.

Kieron

Dear fryke,

OS 9.1 running on PowerBook 2400/180 works like a charm. I mainly use it as a portable music box after upgrading its hard drive to a 20GB. There are only so much I can do with it since it only has 80MB of RAM.

Dear fiskwhisk,

I highly recommend you switching to HF+ instead of continue using the unix file system unless you really MUST use it for work or to keep your life!

I experimented Mac HF+ and unix file system way back with 10.1.

!!! The performance difference is huge!!!
Like comparing day and night!

Switch to HF+! Please ~

Wouldn't you agree, fryke?
One of those people who bashed the shxt out of me way back?
^_^

georgelien, thanks for your consern :p
I'm going to buy a new powermac but I'll wait til the new version comes out in jan-feb. And I realy hope that they'll be better then the curent powermac models, it feels like the ones we have now, Apple put out too early, not yet ready. Something to carry over till the real update comes. I hope :)

viktor

well, apple will shed this feeling until the Mot. G4 processor will be replaced, I fear... By whatever...

MacWorld Expo SF 2003

New Desktops!

G5 DP 1G, 1.5G, 2G
32MB, 64MB, 64MB ATI/nVedia GPUs
333MHz System Bus
256MB, 512MB, 1GB of 333 DDR-RAM
40GB, 60GB, 80GB ATA 100 Hard Drives
Super Drive
Built-in Bluetooth

I hope so, if that would be true I'd buy one right away :)
We just have to wait and see

Viktor

Back