What OS for my work PC ???

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
Hey to all n' y'all n' y'all lol :p
OK here is a dilemma.
I am starting a new job and they are giving me my own office with a mac and a PC. The mac I have no prob with, the PC is probably going to come pre loaded with windows and it's probably going to have lot's of free space.

What secondary OS should I load on it ?
Any opinions ?

Here are a few candidates:
BeOS 5
Linux (SuSE 7.1)
NeXTSTEP/OpenSTEP/Rhapsody (although I will probably need some fancy partitioning to be done)
QNX
OS/2
Solaris
BSD

or another OS ??? :confused:

tell me your opinions :)

Admiral

Install the well-documented OSX for Intel, which is obviously going to be coming out very soon! :D

of course.

Unless you need accellerated OpenGL for work, in which case L word is probably your best option at this time. Beware, though, L word is System Vish.

Umm, don't you think we should be asking the Admiral what job he's going to be doing with the PC? There's no one best OS for all jobs.

So, Admiral, what job will you be doing with these computers?

-Rob

well I plan on keeping windows on as my primary OS.

The secondary OS I will use primarilly for coding, doing telneting and general homework coding and wrk coding. ANSI C, maybe java, and maybe HTMLing

Admiral

PS: I know there is no 1 best os...well except the one they have on the enterprize E he he he ;)

If you go with BSD, I would suggest FreeBSD. If you use linux, I would suggest Debian. As far a deciding between linux and BSD, there are more precompiled apps for linux (just lok at http://packages.debian.org/unstable/allpackages.html ), but most of these can run under FreeBSD using the compatiblilty layer. They say apps are almost as fast as running them directly under linux, but almost is not 'as fast'.

What kind of job did you get Admiral?

-jdog

Originally posted by jdog
They say apps are almost as fast as running them directly under linux, but almost is not 'as fast'.

my own measurements, on a loaded system, showed (about a year ago) that the FreeBSD Linuxulator is faster than Linux, if the filesystems are configured for the same semantics (i.e. async on FreeBSD, which is fast and dangerous). FreeBSD VM was making a difference there, but this might have changed in the meantime.

One thing which must not be forgotten: Linuxulator is not an emulator--it is a Linux syscall gate, so that the Linux apps actually run natively, but using the FreeBSD implementation of syscall internals. Only the apps doing a lot of stat(2) and open(2) on absolute paths are negatively affected, because Linuxulator first tries under /compat/linux, and if that fails, in /.

The syscall re-routing penalty is very low, neglectable against the cost of the protection boundary crossing (switch from user to kernel mode, and vice versa).

Ahh. "Goofing Off." Got it.

Or not goofing off. Whatever.

In any event, why stop at secondary? Go for broke!

I've got Red Hat Linux 7.1, BeOS, QNX, and some other thing I can't remember beside Win98.

See how many OS's you can cram in there. Check out www.freeos.com for ideas.

I've never messed with the BSD flavors, but I think I might try 'em out.

-Rob

Originally posted by ladavacm

[snip]

if the filesystems are configured for the same semantics (i.e. async on FreeBSD, which is fast and dangerous)

[snip]

Ugh. softupdates, baby. fast as async, and safe, too. =)

-alex

Do any BSD flavors support any journaling file systems like the ReiserFS on Linux?

-Rob

I always wanted to install AtheOS on a machine and give it a test run but the way AtheOS manages some memory stuff as I have heard makes it inworkable in VPC... so not if I can find a junk PC (LOL...what a concept :p) I can install it on it :)

Admiral

Originally posted by droid

Ugh. softupdates, baby. fast as async, and safe, too. =)

-alex

weren't available for the commercial use at that time (it was 3.4 I was running), and I did not command the budget in order to pay Kirk.

I ended up using FreeBSD because of the disk speed (what I did was mostly correlating data from several sources--read: massive sorting) and its mature support for large files. Since I was mostly reading, and writing to one file, async vs. noasync did not play a role.

(boast)
I did manage to tune the software and the machine in order to saturate the 10k RPM disk while sorting to it--15 to 18 MB per second, depending on the head position.

A 300 MHz Pentium II was consistently beating an N class HP box on EMC2 at this task :)
(/boast)

Back