What other Apple "no-gos" are left?

Ceroc Addict

Registered
Ok, so within the last few years (and esp. the last couple of months ;)):
  • We've got an Apple program that runs on Windows (iTunes)
  • Macs will ship with Intel processors
  • Multibutton mouse (never thought I'd see the day :D)
So, what's left?
  • Video iPod springs to mind (and interestingly, Apple has recently updated their iPod trademark to include the word "video" :)).
Is there anything else left that people can think of as a traditional Apple "no-go"?

Kap

Haven't we had an Apple program that ran on Windows for years and years?

However, I get the point.

I'm not so sure that your suggested next step quite fits in the same vein, but definitely opening OS X to non-Apple hardware (even if it's just a subset of "select" vendors) would definitely fit into that scheme. And certainly a feasible direction to take if they "complete" the x86 transition well (and Apple becomes so-inclined)

It's still a one "button" mouse though, everyone seems to overlook that Apple has done a perfect job of mixing the concept of a multi "button" mouse with its original design of just a mouse that looks like it has no buttons. Idiots will still say, "where is the button?" If this has errors it's because I'm drunk.

With the announcement today of MightyMouse, I really expected Apple's front-page to read "Hell Has Frozen Over" yet again. Just as it did for the announcement of iTunes on Windows, iPod for Windows users, the Intel switch and so on.

If this has errors it's because I'm drunk.

Hee hee. So honest. If my posts have errors its because the keyboard on my work PC really should have been thrown into the skip-bin five years ago. Grrr...

I don't think a video ipod is really a "no-go" its the next logical step. OSX for any x86 system, a PDA type device etc are better ones ;)

The last "no go", as I see it, is Mac OS X running on vanilla x86 hardware available for the masses. Although we've jumped the bridge and are now firmly standing on x86 shores, this move would be momentus for Apple, and would probably not be attempted unless Apple hardware just stops selling.

But with the move to x86, you can longer argue the feasability of such a move by Apple.

IMO the worst would be to get apple hardware look like boring grey plastic wintel boxes !

other than that, I guess we need to wait & see what x86 apple brings : a faster machine, a crossover personal computer or something brilliant (I believe in the latter...and yes I'm also influenced by design in choosing which brand is able to fullfil my computing needs/requests)

We still have the iclick video/stil camera, ipad tablet, icalc spreadsheet program, iwire wireless electicity for laptops pads, ihome video tivo/home server, iscribe instant write printer, iphone (soon?), iport... Might Mouse was the code name for one of Apple's style writer printers.

This just in: Apple to ship floppy drive on new Intel Macs
Apple fans believe that "Hell really has frozen over"
Apple states that the inclusion of a floppy drive on new Intel based Macs is a move to maintain compatibility for users who might like to integrate their cutting edge Mac into a PC environment that relies on floppies.

moav said:
We still have the iclick video/stil camera, ipad tablet, icalc spreadsheet program, iwire wireless electicity for laptops pads, ihome video tivo/home server, iscribe instant write printer, iphone (soon?), iport... Might Mouse was the code name for one of Apple's style writer printers.
These things aren't "no-gos" in the way I meant (i.e. Things that Apple/SJ has taken a stand in saying that it won't do). I think it's a certainty that Apple will do at least some of the above (esp. the spreadsheet program), even though they haven't actually said anything either way.

Kap

Steve Balmer to head Apple... itunes and ipod to support wma. I use to like Sony now i just wish they would shut up and die. Though with Real starting to make some profits and their deals with some pro sports leagues I could see Apple buying them. Then having MLB, NBA and nascar podcasts and radio possibly with a second deal with Sirius.

moav said:
Steve Balmer to head Apple... itunes and ipod to support wma. I use to like Sony now i just wish they would shut up and die. Though with Real starting to make some profits and their deals with some pro sports leagues I could see Apple buying them. Then having MLB, NBA and nascar podcasts and radio possibly with a second deal with Sirius.

5th Gen iPod - Bluetooth, Video, and Sirius radio? all for under 400 bucks

I'll Take it!!! ::ha::

Motorola/Apple iPhone
iPod Video (2007 or 2008)
Apple Game Console (codename: Lion)
Virtual Mac for Windows XP
Palm develops a PDA for Apple
iTMS Antarctic
Convert protected WMA to AAC(Apple already has 82% but maybe Steve was talking about Mac market share)
New iBooks have detatchable screen to use as tablet pc
iTunes 5 interface redesigned
iWork adds iCalc and another application we don't know about

Back