What planet are Apple on ????

Tommo

Registered
Having just seen the new Macbook I am baffled by what Apple have done. In a time of economic downturns and cost cutting on a grand scale by both individuals and businesses who on earth thought that redesigning these systems resulting in a £200+ price increase was a good idea ?

One of the most common reasons I hear for people not buying Macs is their cost. Sure they have left a basic 2Ghz system in there and don't get me wrong they look very nice systems, but even I as a Mac fan would have to baulk at being asked nearly £1000 for a 13" laptop.

Am I alone in thinking this was not one of Apple's cleverest moves ?

As far as I can see, the prices did not go up that much. Might it be that the exchange rate has an influence here on British pricing? (Whenever a new product is introduced, the price correlates to the current rate.) What was the price hike in USD?

I guess the cost of producing the new aluminium MacBook is quite a bit higher than the previous plastic-book. The LED-screen alone warrants a price hike imho.

In America, the new low-end (white) model is $100 less than the old one. So a £200 (~$350) increase in the UK does seem odd. Or were you talking about the low-end black-and-aluminum model?

The high end 2.4Ghz black and aluminum. I know it has a LCD screen and nvidia graphics chip, but I bought a 2.4Ghz white Macbook in April for £760 including 3 Years Applecare. The new machine would cost me £1035 and this is with Apple's educational discount. Retail Price for this package would be £1348.

I think the LCD screen is great as Fryke suggests, but wonder why they did not have this as an option so a cheaper model would be available.

Back