What ports should be open?

theCaptain

Member that enjoys Meece
I have an iMac on a Linksys Router, The only thing I want to do is be able to access the internet and network through my linksys router. Can someone tell me what ports should be open. I ran a port scan on my ip today and noticed today that the following ports are open 135, 139, 445, 1025, 5000. Do I really need all these ports open? If not how can I turn some off?

With the LinkSys, the default is to not forward anything; I'm assuming that the portscan you did was without the LinkSys in between you and the iMac. The LinkSys box will not expose these ports unless you deliberately tell it to (which you shouldn't). Ports 135, 139, 445 look like you have Sharity or Dave installed, or maybe just an SMB connection open to a Windows box. /etc/services is a good place to look when in doubt about ports that are open that you don't know what they are.

However, 1025 is listed as 'network blackjack' and 5000 is 'complex-main'. I've no idea, but if the Linksys box is blocking them (and it will), it's probably no big deal.

You may find that you have to open some ports inbound for specific applications (games and chat, mostly), but the default config will let you do most everything else just fine.

Back