what printer for mac os x and network and windows me-xp support?

buggs1a

Registered
what printer out there works in mac os x and 9 and windows me- xp but also on the network for under $350? i won't buy HP as they do not like mac os x and won't support it. they don't have network drivers still and it's almost a year after x was released, so my guess is epson only. i will not spend more then $350, so i dont think any of this is even possible.

but i need one printer so i can print from my pc and mac over network. i can't hook up printer to mac and pc same time. it has to work in windows me/2000/xp and mac os 9 and x.

any ideas?

Your only real option is the HP1200...kinda.

Any true PostScript printer will work, especially those with an internal network adapter.

Brother makes a few REAL cheap network printers...although, from experience, they are terrible. They tend to have fuser issues within the first year, and, in general, technical support is horrendous.

In this industry, you pay for what you get.

Better option: get a good inket...epson, hp, doesn't matter.
Get a USB one so that your options for future OS X connection remain open. Spend UNDER 200 dollars ( this is possible! ). Then, just get a copy of PC MACLAN from Mimar, and utilize it's AppleShare printing sharing.

Your OS X, OS 9 boxes will connect via this. Your windows machines can connect via Windows Printer sharing.

Works beautifully.

actually i will not make it so a computer must be on to print. so not gonna touch pc mac lan.
that would mean using a computer as a print server which i will not do.

just re read pc mag issue Dec 26 2001 and the Epson Stylus C80 is the way to go. The issue said it was an editors choice plus will come out with a network version/print server later this year it said. So I am going to look at that one and see if it works in Mac Os X and would work how I need. For $349 with network thing. Not to shabby. Epson Stylus C80N

I know you have a budget set and you don't have a love for HP (I've had my issues with them too), but I have the following setup for my home network:

Powermac 9600 (OSX Server)
Powermac G4 Dual 450 (OSX.1.2 no classic)
Powermac G3 Beige (OS 9.2)
Powerbook G3 Lombard (OSX.1.2 w/classic)
Self built P4 1.7ghz (WindowsXP)
Sony Vaio (Windows 98SE)

I have a HP OfficeJet G85 connected to the network via an external JetDirect PrinterServer 175x.

Everything is tied into a linksys router.

HP has released OS X drivers for this model, even though they did not post it to their web site. I had to call and have them send me a CD. I am able to use all the functions via the network now, but my only hangup is that the scan software is still a classic application, so any OCR done with it will require classic running.

There may not be too many other options out there that will provide built in network support for OS X, but HP is not a bad option to go. Epson seems quite supportive of OS X too, so if there is no good option now, keep an eye on the market I'm sure there will be some great new printers out this year with network support..

I just need software/drivers for os x and win xp. Epson works in mac os x and 9 and windows xp etc. just not in xp and os x on the network they said on the phone today when i called them. so i might get the Stylus C80 and hook it up to my pc and mac via Parallel and USB and print this way untill they release networking drivers for win xp and mac os x. cus i can at least hook up the printer this way for now. pc mag gave the C80 an editors choice.
i would then need to buy the Epson print server for network. but will only do that when they release network support. so im ok there i guess.

i can get the HP laserjet 1000 $250. pc mag said they were good too. i don't think it works in mac though. The Dec 26 issue had a Samsung laser for like $350 or $300 i forget and it supported mac and windows. but not sure if it works with usb and parallel, i forget etc. oh well.

Back