what r u guys using to organize ur mp3's?

kafene

Registered
i'm looking for an osx native app that i can use to keep track of my mp3's and the cd's they are on. i guess i can use disktracker, but it's not carbonized (at least the version i have).

kafene.

I just use the Finder - a folder for each musician or artist, and in that folders for each album, with the mp3s in there.

Originally posted by wdw_
I have 1881 songs organized in iTunes.

when i tried it.. after about 6 cd's of mp3's.. it didn't load or catalog all the mp3's. for example, in my "beatles" folder, although there are about 6-7 albums, it only cataloged 1 album and didn't do the others.

kafene

Originally posted by wdw_
I have 1881 songs organized in iTunes.

i'm trying to catalog my cd's. i have well over a 100 cd's and many of them mp3's (about 24+ Gigs of music), and i don't want to keep them on my hard drive because i need the space for video editing. i just wanted to catalog my cd's so i know what artist/song is on each cd.

kafene.

You could try Sputnix's Autofiling feature.
I've been using it for some time, it's not 100% accruate but I would say it's fairly accurate in catagorizing your songs within a specified folder into sub-folders according to the singer/band's name.

The rest can be done manually, not much of a problem.

Only problem is, it's still in Beta, and you kinda need to register the program to keep using this feature. Good thing is although the registration fee is 12 bucks, you're kinda "allowed" to donate whatever amount you can.

*edit:correction, un-registered version auto-catagorizes the first 10 files in your specified folder*

In os9 the sofware called Soundjam (what is nowadays iTunes) had this subfolder thing and many other features too. It made the folders, even after 30days of downloading it (in unregistered version). I don't think it was never oSx native. But after using it in classic, the folders should be seen as they are in OSx too. I wonder why all these features that this magnificent program had ans still has, 'ren't still in Itunes. It was much, much better! I hope that iTunes3 has some "new" features, what were already in Soundjam in 1998.. Actually i'd rather use this soundjam, but it can only code the first 30 tracks, so thats why I don't use it anymore. sad. C'mon Apple, new features to iTunes

Soundjam

I have approx 7000 MP3s encoded :p
I used MP3 Rage to created tab delimintated lists, and then I made 2 big spreadsheets :p

I use the Finder and iTunes' native organizational protocol making folders in the finder etc.

I use iTunes to catalog the music I listen to most often. I don't catalog all my music, waste of time for me. I know what I like and I know where I can find it if more needs to be added.

1508 songs, playing for 4 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes, 18 seconds occupying 11.15GB. I recently had to unload 800MB of songs just so I could burn CDs - no space for a CD image file.

Originally posted by lethe
MP3 Rage

i have to see if i can get it to work in osx, but i downloaded it at work and it gives the data in database format, which i can probably use in framemaker. cool little feature! thanks.

kafene.

If iTunes didn't catalog your tracks... you ought to check the ID3 tags... iTunes doesn't try and figure out album/artist by directory structure... only by ID3...

I use iTunes to catalog all of my music. And when I say MY music, I mean it. I try not to download anything from the web, because I have found that nobody a) encodes files correctly or b) labels them correctly.

I have my CD collection completely ripped into my iMac and stored under my bed in a trundle drawer. Despite all the useless clutter around here, I do make steps from time to time reducing visual complexity..

But iTunes does the job well, especially since I use it end-to-end. I rip everything 96kbps-minimum maximum quality VBR.

Back