What system software is this?

eric2006

iMovie Professional
I recently won an auction on ebay for mac server software. Turns out, it's classic server software (?). It says "Powermac G4 Server software" on the CD. Is this software better than the built in server for OS X? Is it even server software?

The server software in OSX is superior to what was available for OS9 and earlier. Is there anything else on the CD or its label that might give you a hint? I hope you didn't pay too much for the software, it sounds pretty outdated from what you've written here.

It says
"SSW version 9.0.4"
"CD Version 2.0"
"691-2742-A"

So, if I wanted to retire my G4 tower to a server, would it be better to use the consumer version of OS X, or this software?

And I didn't pay much for it, only like 5 bucks, so theirs not too much to lose.

Probably OS X.

There was no such thing as "OS 9 Server". What you have there is the software install CD that came with the Power Mac G4 Server. It's the hardware that's "server", not the OS. Maybe the CD comes with some extra server software on it (have you taken a look?), but the OS is the same as the regular OS 9. And OS X is certainly better suited to be a server than OS 9.

Wha...? Maybe this is a version of Rhapsody? (Which would eventually become Mac OS X... The product of Apple buying NeXt)?

Apple used to have a G4 that they called a "Mac Server G4". Hardwarewise, the only difference was that it had some more beefy SCSI controllers. When I used to work at another location for my school district, we had one of these.....looked exactly like a regular G4 tower but it had another SCSI controller card (probably for inclusion with a backup system of some sort since it was U/W SCSI). This came shipped with OS 9, which was nothing different from the OS 9 we all know, and also came with a coy of Mac OS X Server 1.0 if I'm not mistaken (at least in the earlier versions of the hardware). If you have this, you'll get an idea of what OS X looked like before the Aqua interface. I've used it and it was pretty cool, but my UNIX experience was lacking during that time. :)

If you do get this (and it will say it on one of the discs), then consider yourself blessed. You might even want to contact RacerX on here about it. However, since you only mentioned the "SSW OS 9.0.4", then it looks like you only got OS 9 with that. Any server software that might have come with it might be some sort of AppleShare software that supplies server functionality to Apple's Classic Mac OS.

See here for more information on the Mac Server G4 series:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_server_g4/index.html

Back