What the Heck?

BitWit

Flash/JavaScript nerd
I've been struggling with getting X11 and all the wonderful apps that are out there going, but so far, NOTHING is happening, and I'm installing lots of stuff that doesnt seem to work.

Is there not a single FAQ or WALK-THRU to get started "building" on MacOS X? I have so many questions!! Its depressing me.

well, I finally saw some very slight mention of installing the apple developers tools from the cd... duh.

If I ever get Gimp working, Im going to write a HOW TO... Install Gimp.

I'm sorry, I thought I clarified that you needed the developer tools installed.

To install the GIMP:
Open a terminal window and input ' /sw/bin/fink install system-xfree86' (no quotes on any of this). What this command does is installs a package which will check to see if there is a XWindows server installed. If you think you have already installed this package, run this command anyway, because if you have successfully installed it, it will not install a second time.
Then, when you see the command prompt again, input '/sw/bin/fink install gimp'.
This tells Fink to install the GIMP application. For me, anyway, this resulted in a fairly large (12MB) download, after which it ended up 'compiling' for almost 15 minutes. While it is downloading, you will probably see something which tells you how the download is progressing, and while it is compiling, you should see an 'endless' stream of text outputted into the terminal window. When it is done, you should see the command prompt again.
After this, open the X11 application and type 'gimp'. This should open the GIMP application, however, if it doesn't, then type '/sw/bin/gimp' which certainly should.

If you listen to the Fink people, you may experience 'strangeness' when using Fink if you have installed anything by the Open Darwin project. I don't have anything by Open Darwin, so I can't vouch for this, however, if you are encountering 'strangeness', this might be the reason. ;)

I hope this helped you, but if you still need help, please post here, and I will try to help you out. You can also try the macosx.com IRC channel (see elsewhere on the site for more on this), or you can contact me on AIM using alexoreo, and I will walk you through it.

Wow, didn't take that long here. I guess my setup is a little more modern than yours though!
I, however, would say to let it finish.
Did you ever try to use the version you installed from OpenDarwin? I personally would have tried to see if that worked before installing the Fink version.

Oh, and don't worry about it, this community is here so we can help others!

Nope, I ran out of time and had to leave for the night, so I was starting over today... I wonder if there are two gimps on my system? I'll check it out with TinkerTool.

Well, it finished at around 10:15, and...

IT WORKS!!!!!

I am getting an error in X11 that says:
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
but I cant see it having any effect anywhere yet.
any ideas?

That is a strange error, I get it too. I think it means that the location that Fink chose to install the Gimp is not supported by one of the libraries that X11 installed. However, I have not seen a problem, and as the old guys say: 'Let sleeping dogs lie'. I shant bother to try and fix it unless I have problems.
Tell me something though, if you just open xterm (the X11 application) and type 'gimp' (no quotes), does the GIMP start? I could have sworn that used to work for me, but it doesn't anymore.

I noticed Applications->Customize and tried to add an item named gimp with "gimp" in the entry, but it doesnt do much good. No Help menu for X11.

Im sure someone's figured out a way to icon-launch gimp by now.

I have to type '/sw/bin/gimp' right now to make it start, just 'gimp' doesn't work. I am working on this though.
To add the GIMP to Applications menu in X11, select Customize, then click Add Item, then in the Name column, enter whatever you want, and in the Command column enter '/sw/bin/gimp'.
Then you can select this entry from the Applications menu when ever you want to use the GIMP instead of typing the command. You can also try putting just 'gimp' in the command column, but '/sw/bin/gimp' gives a full path, so it is much more fool-proof.
I don't know about Icon-launching the GIMP, sorry!

No sign of an /opt/local folder so I guess the OpenDarwin one didnt leave any obvious footprints.

Great!

Type this into Xterm: '/usr/local/bin/gimp-1.2 --no-shm --no-xshm'. If you had installed hte OpenDarwin version properly, this command will start it.

well whadya know. First I got this:
/usr/local/bin/gimp-1.2 --no-shm --no-xshm

"/sw/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/aa" executable not found
"/sw/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/gap_decode_mpeg" executable not found
"/sw/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/helpbrowser" executable not found
"/sw/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/mpeg" executable not found
"/sw/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/png" executable not found
"/sw/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/tiff" executable not found
dyld: perl multiple definitions of symbol _PLUG_IN_INFO
/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/Gimp/Lib/Lib.bundle definition of _PLUG_IN_INFO
/Library/Perl/darwin/auto/Gimp/UI/UI.bundle definition of _PLUG_IN_INFO

LibGimp-WARNING **: gimp-1.2: wire_read: unexpected EOF

[Dave's-Computer:~] dave%

Then Gimp started.

You think I should delete it?

Uh, unless you know what you are doing, or have a major space problem, I would say that deleting it is probably not worth the trouble and/or potential problems that doing so might cause. (I don't know what these might be, off hand.)
I would say, just forget that it exists! ;)

I know that these X11 apps aren't like those of OS X. The actual 'gimp' item that you execute is just the executable, not all the files that were installed. Therefore, deleting this will not remove the program. I don't know if there would be an installation log listing all the files that were placed on your disk, but again, I don't think it would be worth the trouble to bother to find out, unless you have a space problem. On the other hand, most of the Cocoa 'programs' that are sitting in your OS X Applications folder are 'packages'. As long as you didn't have to run an installer to install the program, these packages contain all the files necessary to make the program run. I believe that usually when you have to run an installer program for the application, this means that it needs to place a 'framework'. Don't quote me on this though.
Also, I don't think this applies to Carbon programs all the time, just OS X native Cocoa ones.

The local/bin is only 17MB, hardly anything to worry about. Here's what I've discovered so far:

I like GIMP alot, its like photoshop without all the useless crap that gets ignored anyway. My only gripe: the windows arent 'modal', meaning you need to click once to 'activate' a window to the front, then again to do whatever you need to do in that window...sounds like something that X11 is lacking? The healthy amount of right-click menus helps quite a bit with this however.

My second install was bluefish.
I found bluefish to be an excellent html editor, better than most commercial offerings, but with a few problems:

1. line-breaks arent automatically translated, and you cant find/replace escaped characters like '\n' to fix it. --> I can translate the files elsewhere, but this feature is needed for other tasks.

2. no support of the meta button (apple button) --> however there might be a re-mapping app to remedy this on the whole for X11 eventually, or now.

3. It's hard to figure out the terminal commands needed for setting up previewing with external browsers... I think maybe monitoring the console could reveal the command.

With those 3 things fixed, (number 2 optional - no pun intended) bluefish is a better prog for Web programming than BBEdit or HomeSite by far.

BitWit, DO NOT REMOVE /usr/local/bin/!
This is where many executables are stored, the OpenDarwin Gimp being just one of them. If you delete this, you can bet that you will run into trouble, and wish that you hadn't!

I'm sorry, but I really don't know about the other stuff, though Bluefish does sound good... Maybe I'll install that!

Back