What the %$#@! is going on with SU in Leopard?

andychrist

devil's plaything
Am running 10.5.5 on a G4. Whenever there is an update on SU, it first (supposedly) downloads in the background (it will show percent complete on the bottom of the SU window.) But then when I click on Install, I get the progress bars while it individually re-downloads the same updates. Then when I restart, I get a message that there are downloads to install.

Is this normal for Leopard? Doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense...

Upon opening SU, It is checking; When it finds a new update, it downloads it then and either installs it then & there or IF NEEDED asks for a re-start and then installs it.

All depends upon what the update is and how it needs to be installed.

Don't stew over it, just accept it. :)

Yeah, this confused me at first since when you first get, say 10.5, you have to run SU a few times to get "everything." So when I run SU twice, it will often try to "reinstall" the same thing.

The update is not installed--if it requires a restart--until after restart. So the SU does not know it is installed.

--J.D.

Yeah I know that it has to install it first before restarting. The point I am trying to make is that SU actually downloads the updates twice, once in the "background", then again when I click Install. I have to wait for the downloads to complete both times.

The fact that downloads are not installed until restart is a separate issue, and just a minor annoyance, as on previous versions of OS X you could continue working during the installation process.

You would not have to do that if you restarted.

--J.D.

Do what, Install? Because there is no Restart button showing, only Install. SU won't close unless I hit Install. Having to restart manually from the Apple menu to dismiss SU is kinda counter-intuitive, if that is how it works...

SU merely recognizes that their are updates to--aH! HOW CONVENIENT!!

The first picture is what happens when I hit SU--and there is new software. Kindly note the "arrow" at Safari. I wonder whether or not I should update.

For . . . Heavens to Betsy . . . my Toast is converting the Rumpole of the Bailey I am watching . . . do not want to restart!

The software is not installed. To install, I have to hit . . . well . . . "Install" as so . . . but further evidence it is not installed comes from the dialogue box in which I have to give my password.

. . . and download it does.

At the end, it tells me I have to restart for the infernal Safari which will no doubt cause all sorts of problems. I choose not to restart.

I go on with my work. When I restart it will ask me permission to install the two updates. The updates are not fully installed. So when I quit SU--as I can--it tells me it wants to install the same updates.

That is because I will not have them fully installed until I decide to restart this computer.

--J.D.

Attachments

• Software-Update-I.jpg
    Software-Update-I.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Software-Update-II.jpg
    Software-Update-II.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Software-Update-III.jpg
    Software-Update-III.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Software-Update-IV.jpg
    Software-Update-IV.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Software-Update-V.jpg
    Software-Update-V.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 6
Well then maybe that is the difference between the PPC and Intel versions of Leopard, because I do not get the "Later" option after running the downloads, only an Install option. And as I said, hitting Install does not install, but rather re-downloads the same updates. Only after the second download am I given the option to restart from SU, after which the downloads actually install.

Cannot help you there; I updated to Leopard after I got the faster computer. To my recollection, I could always quit the installer.

Can you take a screen shot of what you are seeing? I may not be able to help you, but one of the Gurus may recognize the problem.

--J.D.

Too late to take a screen shot, as I've already done all the updates on both my Leopard and Tiger drives. Incidentally, no problems under 10.4.11; with 10.5., if I try to quit the installer or restart, I get a dialog box saying there are downloads to install, and the only option is to Install, causing SU to re-download the updates before actually installing. It's happened with every update so far in Leopard on my 1.42 GHz eMac. (I have the box in SU checked, "Download important updates in the background.")

Last edited:
Interesting. Well, it is probably no solace that I do not have that issue on my current Intel model.

--J.D.

Back