what to back-up?

steven_lufc

Registered
Hi there,

I have 7b21 on disks ready to install. I would like to do a clean install on my panther partition. One thing though, I would like to back up my Safari bookmarks, all my mail boxes and mail and my address book info. Where are the files I need to back-up to my other partition, and once installed are they easy to 'put back in'?

Thanks in advance.....

G3 600MHz iMac
40Gb HD
768Mb RAM
10.2.6/10.3 WWDC

The simple answer is any folder in your Library or System folders that say "Preferences."

if you have the space, i'd just backup your entire home-folder as well as 'application support' folders that you find. that should be enough. (unless you have cluttered the drive with important stuff all around... ;))

Actually, a really clean install would be by using the Archive & Install option. Then your old System folder is just neatly tucked away, though other stuff might get lost in the shuffle. Your preferences won't, though, and you can reimport addresses and bookmarks (and you don't need all that junk in your mailboxes anymore, do you?). (Don't worry, your mail isn't gone, it's just in storage.)

So once I've installed the new build I can just replace the new home folder with the back-up and everything should be as it was?

No, I don't care too much for saving mail but I've already lost all my girlfriends mail once before, and daredn't do it again!! You know what they're like..... :)

That's a little trickier. Panther may introduce a new way of organizing these folders, so you'll have to go in an manually transfer data to matching folders within your account. But it should work something like that.

As for the mail issue, forward it all to yourself and don't check it until you've finished upgrading.

Okay... I'm just saying what I always do. ;-)

1.) Back up your home folder at least once a week.

2.) Back up '/Library/Application Support' from time to time or before clean installing.

3.) If you want to clean install, move '/Applications' to a save place (i.e. 'OldApps' or something like that) and do make the clean install.

4.) Move back the home folder over the new home folder - make sure that the users wear the same shortname!

5.) Move the important apps (the ones not installed by the system) from 'OldApps' to /Applications.

6.) Move back the 'Application Support' folder.

Done. You should now have a clean(er) system than before.

Actually, it's no problem to move such a home folder back to Jaguar from a Panther build, which is quite amazing and helpful.

Back