What to use for writing a _simple_ backup solution?

fryke

Staff member
Mod
I normally backup my user folder like that:

sudo ditto -rsrc /Users/myname /Volumes/largeharddrive/backups/myname

in Terminal. It's okay and does what I want, but I want a graphical user interface for it, which lets me choose my target and show me the progress perhaps.

I'm not a programmer at all, but I thought that this could maybe easily be done with AppleScript Studio, which I have installed. Can anybody help a bit?

That's all nice, but not at all what I wanted. ;)

I know of cron, but for my TiBook, this is nothing, as it probably won't be on at the time I set cron to do my backups. All I really want is a front end to ditto (or psync, good tip!) the way I described it. Nobody doing Project Builder stuff who could give some hints?

I've tried to get psync to install/run on my machine (see specs below), but the MacOSX File thingie never gets installed cleanly... Too bad. What I have now is a shell script that I invoke from an AppleScript application (not done with project builder, just the Script Editor).

So will your app _include_ the psync library/perl stuff - and be standalone - or will I be unable to run it, because it's depending on it?

My app is going to include a compiled version of psync. It will use the basic Apple Installer and install psync into /usr/local/bin/ The GUI I'm writing is basically an interface. It will allow people to test out psync, but I'm writing it mainly to allow people to schedule a cronjob that runs as root that runs psync.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I will email PsyncX to you when I get it finished.

Also, I don't know if it will run under Jaguar, but it is working (or will work) fine on my computer (running 10.1.5).

David

Back