What Video Cards support acceleration under OS X?

Rhino_G3

Registered
I'm looking to replace the aging rage 128 card in my B&W G3 with something a little more current. The problem stems from hearing that many people have had trouble with 3D acceleration with aftermarket cards. I need something PCI because of the lack of AGP support on my box.

Currently I'm looking at a PC GeForce 2 PCI and flashing the ROM on it to support the mac. What other options for OS X acceleration do I have?

IF you want to wait until the end of this month, ATI is going to release the 9500 PM Raden VE for PCI macs. That's going to be one ass-kicker of a video card ... even for being PCI.

You really can't go wrong with nVidia GeForce 2 MX and GeForce 3 cards, I'm assuming that if they don't already have drivers out for X .. they will soon.

As for buying a PC card then flashing the ROM, I've heard some horror stories from peeps who've tried to do that. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do go for it let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

The only reason I'm leaning toward flashing the GeF2 MX PC card is because I can't find ANY PCI GeForce's for mac that are even remotely reasonable on the price. I'm gonna keep checking though.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out that new radeon also.
I'll let you know what I find.

Originally posted by themacko
IF you want to wait until the end of this month, ATI is going to release the 9500 PM Raden VE for PCI macs. That's going to be one ass-kicker of a video card ... even for being PCI.

You really can't go wrong with nVidia GeForce 2 MX and GeForce 3 cards, I'm assuming that if they don't already have drivers out for X .. they will soon.

As for buying a PC card then flashing the ROM, I've heard some horror stories from peeps who've tried to do that. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do go for it let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

where can I fond out more about rhe Rdeon 955 VE PCI? URL please. I was going to look at the Radeon Mac Edition but the VE sounds better.

URL the info please.

Back