What video editor?

Tinpusher

Registered
iMovie is brilliant, apart from one thing: the quality of the final rendered movie.

Titles look like they have been rendered with maximum JPEG compression. Embedded images, which look fine everywhere else, become barely discernable.

2 questions:

1. Is there a setting I haven't seen on iMovie that I can correct this with?

And, perhaps more importantly:

2. What vid editing package would you guys recommend? I want a good, pro or semi-pro package.

I am put off Final Cut Pro 5 because I'm afraid it won't work on my G4 (OSX10.2.8). I would be tempted if I could find a copy of FCP 3, but I am keen to explore other options.

Tinpusher said:
2. What vid editing package would you guys recommend? I want a good, pro or semi-pro package.

I am put off Final Cut Pro 5 because I'm afraid it won't work on my G4 (OSX10.2.8). I would be tempted if I could find a copy of FCP 3, but I am keen to explore other options.
I could make a couple recommendations... both are free, but they aren't going to work in v10.2.8 (that is my primary version of Mac OS X and they don't work on this system).

HyperEngine AV (needs 10.3)
Avid Free DV (needs 10.4)

Personally, I do most of my video editing in 10.2.8 using GoLive 6.0.1 (yes, GoLive comes with a built in video editor) and I do most of my titling in LiveMotion 2.0 (yes LiveMotion can save to QuickTime as well as Flash).

I have HyperEngine AV installed on a Beige G3 that I'm upgrading (which has 10.3.9 installed on it) and I also have Premiere 5.1 on my 8100av (which has a G3/500 upgrade).

Hope that helps a little.

Tinpusher said:

I think if you want to use either version of Final Cut, you'll need to upgrade to 10.3.9 ..... you can probably find a version of 10.3 pretty cheap if you want, since 10.4 has been out for a while now. 10.3 will work with either the latest version of Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express just fine.

It sounds like you're pushing iMovie to its limits and would greatly benefit from Final Cut Express or Pro.

Just as a point of reference, I am an Assistant Editor, and use Final Cut Pro and After Effects all day.

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

Racer- I think I'd rather go down the Final Cut route than the GoLive route (even though this *might* mean upgrading).

Adambyte- do you mean to say that even with an older version of FCP I would still need to upgrade to OSX 10.3? I am trying to track down FCP v.3. on the basis it will work with what I already have.

Basically, the way I figure it is that this machine (top spec back in 2003) was built for applications like FCP (version 3 at that time?). Although, clearly, it can't handle FCP 5. However, if the sort of thing that was churned out by professionals like you back in 2003 is anything to go by, it's more than adequate for my purposes (semi-pro promo vids and fun vids of paragliding to distribute amongst the paragliding community).

Tinpusher said:
Adambyte- do you mean to say that even with an older version of FCP I would still need to upgrade to OSX 10.3? I am trying to track down FCP v.3. on the basis it will work with what I already have.

No... what I was saying is that it would be easier to upgrade your OS to an kind-of old version like 10.3, AND be able to use it with a more recent version of FCP easily. But, yes, FCP 3 and FCP 4 will work with what you already have.

Tinpusher said:
Basically, the way I figure it is that this machine (top spec back in 2003) was built for applications like FCP (version 3 at that time?). Although, clearly, it can't handle FCP 5. However, if the sort of thing that was churned out by professionals like you back in 2003 is anything to go by, it's more than adequate for my purposes (semi-pro promo vids and fun vids of paragliding to distribute amongst the paragliding community).

Mmmm... I believe version 4 was out at that time. Maybe even 4.5 (aka Final Cut Pro HD, when they added High-Def support).

Just for the record, if you upgraded to Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.4, your PowerMac G4 could probably handle Final Cut Pro 5 just fine. Check the "System Requirements" at the bottom of this page: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/index.html

Final Cut Pro is probably a bit much for you. Which is why you might want to look at Final Cut Express. It probably has just the right mix of features, and it won't cost you a small fortune. And if you upgrade to 10.3 or 104, you definitely meet the requirements listed here on the right of this page: http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/specs.html

Apple hardware doesn't get as "obsolete" as soon as you think. But you could probably go for FCP 4 / 4.5 just as you are now.

EDIT: Sorry, that was probably more information than you wanted. Hope I didn't make your head explode.

Back