What will happen when I update to Leopard?

alra111

Registered
I have an iMac Core 2 Duo running OS X 10.4.8 (soon to be 10.4.9).

How will the upgrade to Leopard work?

Will I be able to download Leopard and pay for the download?

Will I buy Leopard at the Apple Store and bring it home and install it?

What is the price? Will there be a discount since I got this iMac in December?

Will any applications be lost?

Leopard should work as well as any of OS X upgrades. It's not an upgrade, it's a full system

Download, no.

Buy at the Apple store or any other Apple resellers.

Probably will cost $129.00, just like all previous OS X systems.

Discount, unlikely unless you bought a machine a couple weeks beofre Leopard was released.

Im also interested in this. Got my first mac back in october 06.

So when i install Leopard all information and applications will be lost?

Lucky im a student so will be able to get Leopard for ~£58 (£89 usually i believe)

Discounts happen though. If you are a Student, Faculty, or staff of a school or college then there is a discount for you.
If you look long and hard, you may find some vendors offering at a slight discount.
If you are in no particular hurry, some vendors offer somewhat more discounts a few months after the initial release.

The upgade will not remove any standard applications that were bundled with 10.4.x.

You shouldn't lose any applications of documents when updating, but it's best to backup just in case something goes wrong. Still, it's nothing as horrible as updating a Windows computer from a previous version to a new version. Too scary in my experience as a computer tech to even bother in a Windows environment. For the most part, upgrades from one version of OS X to a newer one (eg: 10.3.x to 10.4) have been pretty smooth, though your mileage may vary.

All previous OS X releases have allowed you to upgrade existing installations (retaining all your user information, preferences, applications, documents, etc.) as well as install a new system from scratch. I haven't heard anything to suggest Leopard will be any different.

However, I expect that you'll only be able to upgrade to Leopard (10.5) from Tiger (10.4), not from older versions. That's the way it worked with Tiger; you could upgrade from Panther (10.3), but if you had Jaguar (10.2), then you had to install an all new system.

That's all good advice... I had the same questions. One more thing...would there be a big advantage to a new, clean install compared to the upgrade? Is it worth the hassle of re-installing software and files?

Oh, no download of the software? I'm not anywhere near a store, guess I have to order?

most of us go Clean install, it's a nice way of ensuring that theres no bugs or anything when your back up. not really ever heard of anything going badly wrong, mind you.

my tuppence would be to wait till at least 10.5.3. 10.5.0 will be buggy. 10.0 was barely usable, 10.2.0 was buggy, 10.3.0 was really buggy and 10.4.0 was no picnic either.

my tuppence would be to wait till at least 10.5.3. 10.5.0 will be buggy. 10.0 was barely usable, 10.2.0 was buggy, 10.3.0 was really buggy and 10.4.0 was no picnic either.

Oh really? Never thought of that... I guess by keeping a close eye on the forum here I'll find out soon enough when it's safe to make the switch to Leopard.
When can one expect to see 10.5.3.? Are we talking weeks, months?

Clean install sounds good to me... I think I will give it a try when the time comes.

If it goes as with Panther and Tiger, we'll see 10.5.1 about a month after the initial release of Leopard. I personally plan on doing it like this:

1.) Backup everything.
2.) Upgrade to Leopard the day it arrives.
3.) See how that goes. Backup regularly.
4.) Clean install Leopard if something doesn't feel right.
5.) Bring back all the stuff from the backups.

Yes, looking at these forums the days when Leopard is new will be important, I'd say. But not all the problems that will arise will concern everyone. Shortly, we'll have some kind of installation/upgrade FAQ thread up that should help miss the most obvious problems the guinea pigs have encountered (and solved).

When I've gone from 10.0 to 10.2, to 10.3, to 10.4, I've wiped my drive and installed fresh on my main machine and have never had any problems.

On a Powerbook, I've used the upgrade method a couple times and wound up wiping and installing fresh because of problems.

most of us go Clean install, it's a nice way of ensuring that theres no bugs or anything when your back up. not really ever heard of anything going badly wrong, mind you.

Will 10.5.3 be available in a box at the store eventually or do you have to buy 10.5.0 and upgrade through system upgrade all the way to 10.5.3?

I've almost never had any problems with doing Upgrade installs of new major versions of OS X.
The one time I did have an issue, I was able to resolve it with an Archive Install.

I guess it depends on what types of work you do, and how many third party add-ons you install. It's usually pretty painless for me since I generally only have a few add-ons that I watch out for when initially booting up after the upgrade.

I also recognize that there is a catch-up period for 3rd party developers that aren't members of the Apple Developer program. That program provides the developer with seeds throughtout the OS development cycle for testing compatibility, and ensuring (as much as possible) trouble free simultaneous product releases, where required.

Obviously Adobe and Microsoft aren't members. :rolleyes:

Will 10.5.3 be available in a box at the store eventually or do you have to buy 10.5.0 and upgrade through system upgrade all the way to 10.5.3?

by about a fortnight after 10.5.3 is released, you'll see the Leopard retail boxes gain a green sticker saying "10.5.3 inside". so yes. look at the boxes of Tiger, i think they say 10.4.8.

Back