What would be the impact of a tame MWSF?

MacLegacy

Unemployed Student!
What if the big silence of the rumors sites would mean there is nothing great coming next Tuesday? What if Apple introduced no modifications to hardware but only new software and bla-bla, no new revolutionary device? In brief, nothing extroardinary to be amazed at.

For me, a tame Macworld would be obviously only new software, but I think I would stay disappointed even though Apple announced simple hardware speed bumps with some other improvements such as a bigger hard drive.

Not that I am a very demanding person, but I think, like many persons I believe, that they are due for a new major announcement such as a new digital device, a new chipmaker, OS X.3 demo (highly unlikely), etc.

Personally, I could care less seeing how I can't afford anything before I start working, but I'm talking about what the impact would be on Apple's reputation.

If MWSF reveals itself to be a very disappointing show, seeing how there is no Macworld Tokyo, I believe it would badly hurt Apple.

Slightly out of line, but I don't want people to start switching to Windows because Apple's chipmakers can't quite provide faster chipsets, which seems to obviously be the major reason why we don't get any major speed bumps.

Anyway, I'll start to repeat myself if I continue on, I don't seem to be able to write quite as clearly as many of the adults here, being only 16 and English being my second language :p

What I'd like to know is how you think the mac community would react and how you would react.

P.S: I wanted this thread to be better, but I ran out of thoughts :rolleyes: , so I guess i'll let you ponder and post your opinions

everybody would just go back to work after the keynote instead of goofing off talking about it all day. certain employers would love it. :D

the question is - after last year's big announcement of the new imac, does apple have to top that to make this one a good one?

i'm honestly not expecting much next week. when apple had something big to announce (the new imac) they really let everyone know about it ("beyond the rumor sites... way beyond").
maybe they're playing games with us, though.

i sure would like a new ipod ^_^.

my thread isn't made for that purpose but there's a nice article of what's coming up at MWSF over at thinksecret.com

Originally posted by MacLegacy
What if the big silence of the rumors sites would mean there is nothing great coming next Tuesday? What if Apple introduced no modifications to hardware but only new software and bla-bla, no new revolutionary device? In brief, nothing extroardinary to be amazed at.

For me, a tame Macworld would be obviously only new software, but I think I would stay disappointed even though Apple announced simple hardware speed bumps with some other improvements such as a bigger hard drive.

Not that I am a very demanding person, but I think, like many persons I believe, that they are due for a new major announcement such as a new digital device, a new chipmaker, OS X.3 demo (highly unlikely), etc.

Personally, I could care less seeing how I can't afford anything before I start working, but I'm talking about what the impact would be on Apple's reputation.

If MWSF reveals itself to be a very disappointing show, seeing how there is no Macworld Tokyo, I believe it would badly hurt Apple.

Slightly out of line, but I don't want people to start switching to Windows because Apple's chipmakers can't quite provide faster chipsets, which seems to obviously be the major reason why we don't get any major speed bumps.

Anyway, I'll start to repeat myself if I continue on, I don't seem to be able to write quite as clearly as many of the adults here, being only 16 and English being my second language :p

What I'd like to know is how you think the mac community would react and how you would react.

P.S: I wanted this thread to be better, but I ran out of thoughts :rolleyes: , so I guess i'll let you ponder and post your opinions

I would welcome a slight upgrade (minor speed bump in CPU and more memory/hardisk space). That would mean the current models would go down in price :D

Although they may not have any computers with new CPU's at MWSF, they may announce their direction at MWSF. Based on my understanding, if they are planning on coming out with Macs based on a new CPU by the end of this year, they probably have already made that decision, and are working on it internally (prototypes, designs, software changes, etc., etc.)

yeah, i'd be happy if Apple announced a new CPU

but the point of my thread is what would be the impact, and even me missed it up to now
:p

I just want it to be here or over already! I can't stand the suspence... and no real rummors!!! AHHHHH!!!!
:D

would be everyone compaining for at least 6 months about apple, talk of apple's demise, lower stock prices (wall st. does hate apple after all) an d a genuine malaise and embarassment on the face of all the macheads. but to the average person, there would be no effect, as most people dont even know that there is such a thing as macworld expo.

Well, Apple has already started to take some steam off the large shows. Quitting MW Tokyo and not going to MW Boston are further steps in that direction. Remember: The PowerMacs as well as the TiBooks and iBooks weren't announced at MWNY.

The current rumours are that the PowerMacs will see upgrades in February or March (adhering to the 5-7 months timeframe we've seen in the past few years).

Apple _can_ take the iMac/eMac upgrades out of MWSF and release them shortly after it (along with the PMs?), but what good would it do them?

The impact of a tame MWSF would be, in my opinion, that people would start understanding that the MWs are - for Apple - rather about strategy and software instead of hardware announcements. Then again, Apple has put much energy into the attention they're getting from those keynotes...

Originally posted by dave17lax
but to the average person, there would be no effect, as most people dont even know that there is such a thing as macworld expo.

I should have said What would be the impact of a tame macworld on the mac community :rolleyes:

fryke, I hadn't thought about that impact , now that you mention it..

though, if they leave MWs and create their own show (a rumor though) they might want to be less about strategy and software ..

i go to the expo for the free goodies. and if apple doesn't make it big, some software company will and i will o check them out. For me it's a win-win situation ^^

Back