"What would you do if your iMac broke, though?"

anrkngl

hopelessly addicted
I actually got asked what I would do if my iMac broke (because it is all one piece) by someone yesterday. I laughed and said, "same thing anyone else would do--get it fixed."

That, along with the one button mouse comments are the two most common things I hear when I tell people about my new iMac.

Then there is the complaint that there is 'no software' on OS X. There is plenty of software out there for me, considering what I use my Mac for.

But what can we do to assuage people's concerns and convince them to even consider a Mac? I have (to used a tired old phrase) 'seen the light,' and I can only shake my head and laugh at some of the complaints.

yeah, a friend of mine was like "how do open the iMac to fix it?"

i was like "fix what?"

"umm, like RAM and the disk and video stuff..."

i just snickered... it is not like Macs are perfect and never break down... but how often do you think you need to open the case to add / remove / repair stuff on a mac versus a compaq POS, or even worse a homemade cobbled together PeeCee.

a computer is not like some 1930's roadster that you repair on the weekends... yet some PeeCee heads spend more time conguring their boxes and opening the cases then they do actually getting stuff done.

As a former windows user (I still use it at work (nt) but I don't have to like it) I have to say that 50% of that configuration pain is OS-related. The OSes M$FT makes are simply not compatible with a lot of hardware. My former Windows box is now a BSD box and it behaves itself a lot better since the transition.

Well, replacing RAM in an iMac is a joke. Any 5-year old kid can do it.

Somebody actually once claimed that the PowerMac could not be opened. They hadn't seen screws in the back to do it and they were too stupid to look at the handle...I open it up as much as i can in front of PC users...just cause it's so easy. I also like to open it while it's running, it kinda seems more impressive that way.

Originally posted by anrkngl
I actually got asked what I would do if my iMac broke (because it is all one piece) by someone yesterday. I laughed and said, "same thing anyone else would do--get it fixed."
Not in my case.
My hard drive died...So I sold then whole thing to my brother and bought a new Flat Panel one.

....well, it seemed like a good enough excuse to me. :D

10bellies: I LOVE your avatar. That's hilarious. :)

Sorry for straying off-topic. :p

Cry. Go into withdrawal. Be surprised at how many free hours there are in a day. Struggle to remember recipes.

I'd fix it myself. As I've said in previous topics on how to open the iMac. I work at an apple repair, shop, I guess you could say that, and a school that is nothing BUT Macs. I've fixed tons of computers. iMacs, G3s, G4s, cubes, even the old beige computers!

BTW, I like 10bellies idea of selling the iMac. I can't since my dad owns the Mac repair shop, and knows as much as me about fixing them.

off topic:
My dad goes out and gets a new tower every time they come out! He never gets me a new computer, I have been stuck with the same iMac for several years (500mhz DV). My dad has a new 800mhz G4 and a 400mhz Powerbook G4. Is it me or am I stuck in the past? I would really go crazy if I got a G4 Tower or a G4 iMac.. :)

Back