What would your product line up be?

goynang

Some guy
If you were in charge of Apple's product line up, what options would you supply?

At the moment we have iBooks, PowerBooks, PowerMacs, iMacs, and the xServe - all with various options and configurations.

Every time any of these get upgraded the feature sets get better but the intial entry price into owning a Mac stays at around £1000 (give or take).

Now, whilst PC's may well be inferior you can get a usable (whatever that means) machine for much much less.

So for example, do you think there should be an entry level machine below the current iMacs that is usable (i.e. not g3 I guess*) but at a more realistic price for those counting the pennies (i.e. everyone!).

So, what would you include in your line up? Keep it real though, no 60Ghz G6 machines for £250 please!!!

(* I use OS X on a 300mhz G3 myself - it's OK but a bit slow)

I'd dump the G3 chip in everything but a stripped down, CDROM equipped 17" iMac for education, and sell it a for $599. Apple needs a loss leader item, ie, one that doesn't bring them 30% profit (more like 5-7%), but it gives them a low end foothold in a market (like education) that is constantly looking at the bottom line, and increasingly moving to Dells for that very reason.

I could hypothesize forever on other "potential" Apple products, but the truth is, other than lagging CPU mhz, they are doing a pretty good job right now with their products.

I'd like to see the Powerbook G4 have a Superdrive option, but I'm sure there no drive available right now to fit the case, or Apple would be making it.

eMac 700 (or 800 MHz CPU)
iMac LCD 15" 933 (or 1 GHz CPU)
iMac SE 17" 933 (or 1 GHz CPU)
iBook 12"/14" 700 G4 (or 800 MHz CPU)
PowerMacintosh 1 GHz (or Dual 1.2 or 1.33 GHz)
PowerBook 933 MHz (or 1 GHz CPU)

The 'low end' should get 133 MHz bus speed without DDR-SDRAM, while the high end should get it right now.

This would be my must-have line-up for September (Apple Expo Paris). But Apple won't deliver all that, sadly.

Apple needs this:

PowerMac G4 Basic:
G4@800Mhz/1Ghz
512Mb DDR (3 DDR slots)
60Gb HD
2 or 3 PCI slots
1 AGP8X
FireWire 2/USB 2
Airport capable (but optionnal)
DVD/CDRW combo as standard
GeForce 4 Ti
GigaBit Ethernet
MiniTower enclosure.
$1299 for the 800Mhz & $1499 for the 1Ghz

Wouldn't it be the Mac every Mac/PC user has dreamt of ?

If it releases such a product, Apple needs of course first to release new Power Mac line @ 1Ghz to 1.4 or 1.5 Ghz. It also needs speed-bump a little the iMac to 800Mhz - 933Mhz with other new features.

I would like to see a 'tower' computer between the powermacs and the imac. Some thing like the cube, a little bigger with one agp slot and one pci slot.
I think that with todays product line there's a gap between the powermac and the imac that need to be filled.

Power Mac G4 1 GHz low end, 1.2 GHz medium, dual 1.4 GHz high end
iMac 800 MHz low end, 933 medium, 1 GHz high end
Powerbook G4 700 MHz low end, 933 high end
iPod 15-20 GB
Drop the iBook, or at least make it a G4
eMac 800 MHz for everyone
Xserve 1 GHz low end, 1.2 GHz medium, dual 1.4 GHz high end (I realize I put the same thing for the G4, but pros want that kind of speed too.)
Up the bus speed to 300 MHz AT LEAST to show the full speed of the G4, DDR RAM on all models
Jaguar on all models

I have a feeling that the G3 is going to be gone by MacWorld NY. ;)

Back