Whats a Santa Rosa?

Bio-Gene

Registered
Um hey,

I was going over some news ads on some websites and I also went to some forums and I saw people talking about this thing called the Santa Rosa! From what I could get all I understood was that it is a new chip or something, like a crossbreed of centrino and Core-Duo! Not sure how powerful that would be but could anyone tell me what exactly it is?

Centrino is actually not a chip, but a "platform". The Centrino platform has used several chips, from the Pentium M to the Core Duo. Santa Rosa will be the next generation of the Centrino platform, and will be (initially) based on the Core 2 Duo.

I'm not an expert on the details of Centrino since it's never really been relevant on the Mac side. For more authoritative info, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Santa_Rosa_platform

And that'll continue to be like that. Apple won't start to talk about the centrino platform etc. They talk about the CPU - and maybe about the integrated chips they're using (like MacBook's integrated graphics etc.). So we _are_ probably using some version of the centrino platform, but that doesn't really matter, anyway.

i think the centrino marketing thing is a disaster. it's so confusing.

"i want one of those new core duo laptops"

"how about this one?"

"but that's a centrino. i want a core duo"

"it is"

"?"

i think the centrino marketing thing is a disaster. it's so confusing.

"i want one of those new core duo laptops"

"how about this one?"

"but that's a centrino. i want a core duo"

"it is"

"?"

LMAO, That is true! Wow I always thought centrino was a chip now that is some big time confusion on Intels part lol! Ah well will check the wiki thanks again guys!

I think it's also not helping intel that their codenames are widely used. Magazines and online fora are all talking about upcoming processors as their codenames, and we often keep on calling them that after they've been released. So you not only have the Core 2 Duo processor, but you have Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest (and Merom comes in various variants, btw.), then you have "the Centrino platform" with _its_ versions and codenames, there's ViiV and vPro. Plus Apple _not_ using those labels - but still using at least parts of the technology. My _guess_ is that intel's plan was to bring down the confusion with their platform names. Marketing: Zero, Confusion: Ten Points.

Back