What's ahead for Apple?

MacLuv

Reloaded
I was just peeking into the Longhorn thread and thinking to myself... this is nice, but what's in store for Apple over the next few years?

I'm really getting into OS X--I've been waiting for this for a long time. At the same time I see a lot of great things being poured into the Windows side, and I can't help but wonder when, or if, we will have similar features Windows users will have.

Although the general consensus of Mac users seems to be that we're not concerned with speed, I have concluded that Jaguar will really give people a thirst for speed. With digital consumer products really taking off, processor speed will be just as important to mac users as stability is now.

With this thread I'm mainly interested to know what Apple might have in store for us in upcoming releases of OS X as well as hardware.

I'm not a power user of OS X yet, but I'll get there, so I don't have a ton of ideas for improvements, although I do have a few. If you have any others, please post them. I'd really be curious to know what everyone else would like.

In no particular order, preference, relation, or scale...

1. Speed improvements--I feel the need and I want the speed my XP counterparts have... although this is widley debated I have seen for myself the responsiveness of XP on an x86 and would like the same...

2. Uninstaller program added to utilities-- I've installed it, now I want it off my machine... options to remove all creator files if possible...

3. Multiple Docks and more customizable features with the dock... like DockFun!... the ability to have seperate docks for seperate functions

4. Remote Control System... something PC users seem to get is all this remote control stuff... I'd love it if I could set up my iTunes and listen to them in the living room without having to be near my computer, or integrate my Mac with my entertainment system, etc... this really should be a top priority for Apple to bring this stuff to the consumer market I think, and is long overdue...

5. Basic included with developers kit... i find it amazing that Apple includes the hefty developers kit but no introductory kit for kids or others learning how to program... a strategy I've talked about for a long time, almost like how tobacco companies try to get kids to start smoking early... get them programming on your platform early and you've got a loyal user for life.

6. Speaking of programming on the Mac, is MindSystems by Lego on OS X yet??? It should be.

7. Audio console on the fly... it would be nice switch my audio ouput on the fly so when I turn on the radio I can switch to built in speakers or something... or use multiple outputs or something like that would be cool...

8. Better help system... the help system is too slow and needs to have a hierarchy menu on the side so applications are automatically grouped together... also an option to open the drawer on the side of your choice...

9. A better system clock with more options...like showing the date when you click on it instead of pulling it down...

10. A better dial up connection implementation... when I dial up it doesn't run in the background--it brings the process to the front and I have to click on whichever app i'm in to get focus back... also if I'm in iTunes it adjusts the volume for some reason...

11. Bundle iApps better to compete w/Entourage... this has been discussed before... a lot of people are unhappy with these apps and they really need to be beefed up with steroids to compete with Entourage...

12. Oh yeah... my favorite... A NEW MOUSE!!! I like the feel of the "pro" mouse, but I really need two buttons and, at very least, A SCROLL WHEEL, PLEASE APPLE PLEASE GET OUT OF THE ONE-CLICK MENTALITY... ug... kids are using video game consoles with twelve buttons with no problems, why does Apple still make this inferior thing? Especially after the hockey puck iMac thing, I think Apple needs to look for a new mouse designer...

13. More modular systems... it would be great if I didn't have all these wires all over the place... my in-laws just got their house redeisned and all the equipment is hidden in a closet someplace... wouldn't it be great if there was a "consumer" rack mount system, for a centralized home entertainment system or something? Multiple DVD changer, plug in memory sticks, plug in CPU, etc? Man, upgrades would be a cinch...

14. Browser integration with Finder... Windows has it, so should we... a path is a path and it would be nice to type a location from anywhere on the computer, not just my browser

15. Choice to open new windows at current path... our only options are to open new windows at Computer level or Home level and not "path" level which would open the window as a duplicate of the current location, saving navigation time.

16. Implemented themes & icon managemenet... everybody likes to customize, it's part of thinking different... one of my favorite tools in OS9 was icondropper and iConrol... we need that implemented into OSX to make it easy peezy...

17. Multiple desktops... I've seen someone's version of this someplace, but it should be implemented into the OS... great for managing screen real estate...

18. More interesting iPods... i don't understand why iPods aren't more exciting to look at... like a Gameboy or something...

19. Speaking of iPods, how about an iPod docking station? I hate wires.

20. More iPod: the iPod car stereo... what if I could plug my iPod into my car and take it with me when I left?

21. iMidi... while we're on the subject of iApps, i've been looking for a midi-only sequencer to hook up all my equipment... no digital audio neccessary...

22. make ichat more fun with backdrops like yahoo! has...

23... more iApps... iForum... a forum client/server like Hotmail... but os X native... no php...

more will come i suppose...

I would like to see:

24. Way better SMB integration with windows, maybe extend rendezvous to see windows networks as well as AppleTalk networks. Also make the implementation of SMB less CPU intensive

25. Totally recode the finder. It's still too slow and not multitasking, would be good to recode it to be faster and add features without losing it's great simplicity though! (Is it still using code from OS 9?)

26. Bring more levels into the dock, like sub app's or other groupings wihtin the dock. Something like you said in point 3.

27. Integrate a tool like Suitcase font manager into the OS. Even though I absolutely love OS X, it has definetely dissapointed me in font management. No subfolders possible in fonts folder etc is just a real headache and forcing people to buy font managers. Those without money just get stuck. My idea is to totally integrate a font manager into the OS, expecially with OS X having at least 5 different font locations.

These are my issues so far.

I hadn't thought about #27 at all since i'm a suitcase user, but considering the simplicity of the program I totally agree that a system-wide font manager would be a great step forward...

Just a little feedback:

2. I don't think an uninstaller is needed, I'd rather see more apps move to a single "file." Installation would be to drag to apps folder, uninstall by moving to trash. For stuff that resides in the library, there is a prefpane out there that sort of does the trick. You can enable/disable items in certain library subfolder, but it does not far enough. I'd also like to be able to delete libraty items from this prefPane.

2.5 I'd also like to be able to drop files into the Library folder and have them placed in the proper subfolder (similar to the way control panels/extensions are filed in OS9)

4. Have oyu seen NetTunes? http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15740&db=mac It is a remote GUI for iTunes. I have not used it, but supposedly you get a complete copy of the iTunes interface you can use to control iTunes remotely.

I'm also looking forward to streaming music between computers running iTunes via Rendevous. I'm even more looking forward to Philips enabling this in audio electronics!

6. Not from MindSystems, but you can control Lego Mindstorms robots with this app: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16258&db=mac
note: I have not tried it lyself, but it is out there.

7. Go to sourceforge.net and look doe SoundOut: http://sourceforge.net/projects/soundout/

I use this *all the time* to switch between my Soundsticks and my iMic-connected wireless headphones.
ps.the version in versiontracker.com is outdated and has issues with 10.2

9. I'd like to have the clock show the date when you click on it, but you should look at FuzzyClock http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11278&db=mac
it does not show the date, but it writes the times as "ten to Five" or "Twenty past 3" in 22 languages.
BTW>I use iCal to get the current date, although it does not to be on the wrong place. this really belongs in the menubar.

15. you missed one, if you hold the command key down while doubleclicking on a folder, the folder will open in a new window. I wish there was a shortcut for it...

17. I've never used multiple desktops, but I do think apple should implement this. I've seen the third party apps that do this, but they seem to be lacking (at least in dual monitor setups).

24. the way rendevous works (by dynamically assigning IP addresses from a range reserved for special purposes), this would only be accomplished with changes in Windows.
sidenote: have you noticed the difference in speed between regular filesharing and rendevous filesharing (between the same two computers)! the speed is awesome.. I need more 10.2 clients at work!

I'd like to see:

28. I'd like to see iMovie handle multiple firewire input devices at the same time... I'm sitting here juggling a Digital 8 camcorder, a MiniDV camcorder and a Holliwood DV bridge. This is a *pain*! I wish iMovie would let me select the DV source somewhere!

26. all menu extras being equal (so you can arrange them all by draggin)

27. 1.0 version of Chimera call iVigator. :D

28. Apple to send someone over to smack the Macromedia programmers and pump some speed into Flash.

29. Faster print center/print windows (this really does suck, espacially if you have a lot of network printers setup)

30. wow... I'm having a hard time thinking of improvements I'd like to see... I guess that will do.

in response:

2. i suppose having one "file" would be nice, but isn't that totally not going to happen with Darwin? That's why I suggested the Uninstaller... also easier to keep track of what you have installed on your system and take it off if you have to without searching through everything

4. Nettunes seems like a nice network tool, but I was thinking more along the lines of getting away from the navi with an actual remote control system. If you watch "The Ozzbournes" you see Ozzy and Co. using a system that was developed on the PC to control the TV--imagine a handheld unit with a color LCD that's programmable from your PC to control various devices around the home--maybe even a companion to your cellphone... now that would be frickin cool. (I'm sure the japanese already have this in some form)

7. soundout--i can definately use this, but Apple should implement it, especially when it's supposed to be the center of my digital hub

15. yes, I'm aware that command-clicking on the file opens it in a new window, but at times I need an EXACT duplicate of the window I'm in... saves from re-navigation

26. I'm not sure what you mean by this

28. very good suggestion, similar to the soundout... apple should really have a softport of sorts so in/outs can be selected on the fly

Originally posted by MacLuv
2. i suppose having one "file" would be nice, but isn't that totally not going to happen with Darwin? That's why I suggested the Uninstaller... also easier to keep track of what you have installed on your system and take it off if you have to without searching through everything

Not sure what you mean by not going to happen with Darwin...

But Apple owns the patent for "bundles" - essentially all elements/files for a program are encapsulated into one "file". This is how programs like Mozilla on Mac OS X allows for drag and drop install. The only files outside of these bundles are usually user preference files, and they are all located at one central place. However, not all developers follow the Apple guidelines. :-(

Since Darwin is pretty much the UNIX center of Mac OS X, I don't know if it supports it or not, but there shouldn't be much technical difficulties in supporting it.

i'm not quite sure how to read such a long list of things you want. Are you saying that apple should include all or at least most of these things at no extra charge or are you willing to pay for them? Because thinking they could put all the time and effort into all these things and not pass the cost onto the consumer is not very feasable and even less likely. on the other hand, much of what you are asking for is available now thru third parties. most of it costs money.

i can remember when i first switched to os x. i thought thee were a lot of good things about the old gui that were missing. but pretty soon developers started creating haxies to add these back into os x. there were also developers adding some of things they thought were missing from their unix/linux experience. some even had to have some windows features. in the end this was all good. the functions are available, the commmunity got to participate and some people even made some money off it. I kinda got the idea that apple knew what they were doing when they left some things out of the finished product, yet the potential for them still existed within the framework. I mean, if you're going to attract develpers, they need things to develop, right?

also, some things apple will probably never build into the system, eg - a defragmenter or even a 2 button mouse. There are companies out there who have been surviving by creating these things for macs for years. they have been supporters of the mac platform. it would hardly be right to suddenly take over their market niche and say"thanks, but we'll take it from here. go find a new job."

so the thing is to support those developers who give added value to what apple has given us and not whine that apple should be doing everything. there is already a company that attempts to do that and most of us don't think very highly of them. I don't want an integrated browser, because i want to use the browser of my choice, not what apple decides i should use. I don't want iphoto to compete with graphic converter. i don't want a lot of things that you seem to. but i want there to be the opportunity for 3rd parties to develop the things you want so that you can pay for them and not me. and i want the apple platform to attract more top notch, quality oriented developers thru the process. cause once they are thru giving you all those things, their next projects will be bigger and better and we all benefit.

hi ed...
Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
Are you saying that apple should include all or at least most of these things at no extra charge or are you willing to pay for them?

It depends on the scale... there are some small features that are lacking in OS X that I think should be included in the software, sure, and we have an abundance of hacks that prove this... the problem is that, like in the case of ASM, the hack is so much wanted that the programmers start charging for these things and they may or may not be included with another release of the operating system. I'm not saying that devs shouldn't charge for thier time, but sending everyone $15 here and there for little hack fixes really adds up and generally isn't worth it in the long run. I think some features I did pay for when I bought OS X that aren't really there yet.

i can remember when i first switched to os x. i thought thee were a lot of good things about the old gui that were missing. but pretty soon developers started creating haxies to add these back into os x. there were also developers adding some of things they thought were missing from their unix/linux experience. some even had to have some windows features. in the end this was all good. the functions are available, the commmunity got to participate and some people even made some money off it. I kinda got the idea that apple knew what they were doing when they left some things out of the finished product, yet the potential for them still existed within the framework. I mean, if you're going to attract develpers, they need things to develop, right?

I agree that devs need things to devlop, and I've had this conversation elsewhere--what happens when companies develop things first? My father is a software engineer, and he's never run out of thing to work on, and he's been at it since punch cards, so I don't really think taking away a few clock hacks or menu enhancements is really going to make a difference.

What attracts real developers is money, and that's why M$ has a lot of great software. Some people may not like it, but they are the boss... idealism vs. reality doesn't go very far when people have to pay bills.

also, some things apple will probably never build into the system, eg - a defragmenter or even a 2 button mouse. There are companies out there who have been surviving by creating these things for macs for years. they have been supporters of the mac platform. it would hardly be right to suddenly take over their market niche and say"thanks, but we'll take it from here. go find a new job."
Well, like I said above, there's always stuff to develop and new ways of looking at things... Apple has already started taking over markets because it has to--it's acquisition of eMagic and FCP are examples of Apple's strategy to survive in the software market. It seems as though you might have a more idealistic approach to the Apple thing which I believe is the old school of Apple thinking--there's nothing wrong with it, of course, but just as you think Apple shouldn't take a bite out of the littel guys Apple is also a little guy if you know what I mean and it has to do what it has to do to survive now...

so the thing is to support those developers who give added value to what apple has given us and not whine that apple should be doing everything.
Once again, I'm in total disagreement... Apple is a company, like any other... I'm not a charity, I have to give people what they want to make a living, and so should Apple. If developers make a product I use frequently to make money in my business or for my pleasure I pay them, but I don't handouts to people who hack together a source code application and charge me shareware fees becuase they want to quit their day job. And I'm not whining about anything... I'm suggesting improvements or giving feedback as a consumer to what I'd like to see in the product. I pay money for Apple to give me features I want, not give me features they think might be useful to me.

there is already a company that attempts to do that and most of us don't think very highly of them. I don't want an integrated browser, because i want to use the browser of my choice, not what apple decides i should use.

Becuase of all the negative hype surrounding this issue, I think a lot of people miss the point of having an "integrated" browser. I think it's one of the most genius ideas in an operating system to date. It's a feature I like having on the PC and I believe we're missing out. I think the whole "browser wars" thing is totally blown out of proportion, especially with .net--the future of computing is modular, and in ten years there won't be such thing as a "browser"... frankly I'm surprised we still have a "finder"

{...}and i want the apple platform to attract more top notch, quality oriented developers thru the process. cause once they are thru giving you all those things, their next projects will be bigger and better and we all benefit.

I agree, that's why I put in request #5.

2. Some people covered this already. But I really like the idea bundles. I'd like to see eveery app turned into a bundle with customizations added to the library.
e.g. iMovie plug are placed in the library so that you can reinstall iMovie from scratch and not loose any third party plugs.
On the other hand, I think a library manager (like diablotin) with the ability to remove library items would still be needed, just for applications.

4. ahhh I don't have cable, but I think you are talking about those programmable remote controls (they can set you back $500-$1000). There is some hardware similar to this (called OmniRemote) for the Visor (it is a handpsring springboard module) that provides a lot of that functionality for a lot less money and is programmed conpletely within the visor.
Those are cool, and it would be great of the programming software was Mac compatible. However, I though you could program those things without a computer by using the target devices original remote control...

7. it would be great for apple to provde this (two checkboxes in the prefPanel), but I am just glad that the OS is designed in a manner that makes it pretty easy for someone else to do a small freeware app like this.

15. I'm not sure why you need this, can you explain what you are trying to do that requires this. if you are going to drill down and do not want to have to backtrack, you can just open a new window and close it when you are done...
BTW>unlike a lot of people, I am not trying to be difficult, just curious. :D

26. certain menu extras (only apple's unless you've added a haxies to open this up) can be arranged by cmd-dragging them. their order in the menu is not dependent on their launch order. (e.g. cmd drag the monitor or volume menu extra). also, if you cmd-drag the icon out of the menubar it will disappear in a poof.
this used to be opened to third partied, but apple closed it off on 10.2 because a bad menuling can bring down the entire UI server. I understand apple's concern, but having icon placement determined by launch order is a step backwards. I'm hoping that this is just a temporary move while apple figures out how to sandbox the menulings from the rest of the UI server....
PS>In case you are wondering, I included a screenshot of my menu extras

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 20
Originally posted by sheepguy42
try dragging a picture into an iChat window. I did, and it became the background of the chat.

I could do that but I should have been more clear... Yahoo! has some interactive features that are really fun to play around with when you're chatting to a familiar friend... does iChat take plug-ins for such things or is it pretty much stuck in aqualand?

Jav...

2. what's the difference between a bundle and a package? (ie isn't it the same?) I understand what you're talking about regarding the custom preferences and such. An uninstall utility would do the same... perhaps could be incorporated into the software update.

4. Yeah, those would be the remote control systems I'm talking about... I know sony has had something in the works for a long time about controling all your houshold appliances from your computer or handheld device. I think using a Visor as a universal remote is awesome... my in-laws opted out of the option to have evrerything automated (lights, etc) and now when we go to watch a DVD or something we have 4 remotes... i to turn off sky, turn on the DVD, the TV, and the Bose... it's so frickin' stupid in this day and age I can't stand it. That's why I thought if Apple made a unit like the visor they could really promote a universal remote. Considering the success of the iPod, I bet a lot of people would go fot it... iControl or something. Imagine using it to control your home lighting system and such... i've seen units like this on the mac before, but not stylish. I'm not familiar with bluetooth specs yet, but wasn't it designed to handle such things?

15. as far as the "duplicate" window feature, i got used to this in Windows and I think it's a good idea. There are times I want to see two different views of the same window or do all sorts of stuff... just another shorcut that I've found comes in handy and would probably work well with OS X.

26. ah, got it... cool, i didn't know one could rearrange them like that... learn something knu every day...

btw, ed, i was thinking about what you wrote about developers making these things, but perhaps another concern comes to mind--it's Apple's OS, and if they commit to it, then it should work, right? So maybe it's better off (in some cases) if Apple comes up with some of this stuff incorporated into the OS as a basic feature and if people want something a little different they can make it themselves... just like the old days :)

I think it is the same. you can right-click on certain applications and browse their contents (including the actual application file).

4. I think there are supposed to be developments on X10 to enable wireless control of devices (beyond those annoying X10 camera ads). I know there was some very cool X10 software for MacOS 9 (this would bring in things like lighting, springler systems, and a whole host of devices to the computer-controlled world). X10 extremely mature. The premier Mac program was called XTension. It seems to be stuck in OS9 land (although they still have tons of informaiton on X10), but Always Thinking has ported their software to OSX. http://www.alwaysthinking.com/default.html
Hardware vendors usually do not get into the X10 act (it seems to be stuck in the hobbyist and consultant/installer niches - it is *big* with the geeky engineers where I work). You definitely sound like someone that could get addicted to it. (I would too if I had more time...)

15. ahhh.

btw, ed, i was thinking about what you wrote about developers making these things, but perhaps another concern comes to mind--it's Apple's OS, and if they commit to it, then it should work, right? So maybe it's better off (in some cases) if Apple comes up with some of this stuff incorporated into the OS as a basic feature and if people want something a little different they can make it themselves... just like the old days :)

i hear what you're saying and about this time last year i would have agreed with you. however, after seeing the passion of the open source 'nix developers who are flocking to osx , i've begun to think that apple intentionally left these guys something to play with. Note that the majority of the haxies are freeware as are many of the lightweight programs for os x. and the ones that cost are usually very affordable, rarely more than $5-$10. there are obviously some developers who have been charging for this stuff, but almost always there is a free alternative. some of this stuff has been done and redone so many times it's more a matter of which icon or gui you like better.

I can understand that finding these things might be a bit more work now than it was to check versiontracker daily and pick them up as they came out, but they are out there. and of course, many of them are continuing to improve their apps. i have had several instances of developers responding to my direct suggestions to them and then including me in the beta testing of said improvements. a couple of these developers are site members here.

which is where i think the value of lists like the one you have started here, really lays. don't be too surprised if some of your wish list shows up on versiontracker sometime soon. i once had one of mine show up within a few hours. (it was a really simple request for an app to launch just the os 9 apple menu without launching a program). checking versiontacker.com and macupdate.com daily is still a good source for finding the latest developments and for finding the developers who are already working on projects similar to what you want.

While i still mutter a "stupid unix" every now and then, i have come to appreciate the joining of the mac and 'nix communities and many of the contributions of the open source community.

1. Speed improvements-...
Much of OS X is actually quite fast-Applescript, networking, disk copies- but it is true that the finder GUI needs improvement.

2. Uninstaller program added to utilities--
I've got to say that this is far down my list. If I need to uninstall most things I just draq them to the trash.

3. Multiple Docks and more customizable...
Personally, I don't use the dock so no comment.

4. Remote Control System...
This was kind of unclear. Do you mean stuff like one computer playing an iTunes library from another computer? Do you mean something like VNC?

5. Basic included with developers kit...
Have you tried AppleScript Studio? Amazingly cool. Much more powerful than Basic. Basic should be allowed to die an unnatural death.

6. Speaking of programming on the Mac, is MindSystems by Lego on OS X yet??? It should be.
This is not an Apple product. It apparently is available on OS X. They had a booth at MWSF last January. At MW-Tokyo they had a lot of cool examples like robot lego dogs walking around the booth.

7. Audio console on the fly...
This seems to be very specific to your life. If you want this you could add enough iMics to accomplish this.

8. Better help system...
I kind of agree. It seems that when you search for help you tend to get answers unrelated to the application you are working on.

9. A better system clock ...
Just get wclock. It lets you display the time with the date.

10. A better dial up connection...
I'm using DSL so no comment.

11. Bundle iApps better to compete w/Entourage...
I don't use Entourage so no comment.

12. Oh yeah... my favorite... A NEW MOUSE!!!
Well go get one. OS X will support a two button mouse. I happen to like the one button mouse. It works fine. Don't break it.

13. More modular systems...
????

14. Browser integration with Finder...
????

15. Choice to open new windows at current path...
I don't understand this one so no comment.

16. Implemented themes & icon managemenet...
It is unfortunate you don't have this but I doubt it is important for a majority of people.

17. Multiple desktops...
Same as above. Probably good for you and a few others but it would not be used by most people.

18. More interesting iPods...
iPods are nearly universally recognized as the best thing out there. Sure they could be better but they are hardly a weak spot for Apple.

19. Speaking of iPods, how about an iPod docking station? I hate wires...
Sorry. Life isn't fair.

20. More iPod: the iPod car stereo... what if I could plug my iPod into my car and take it with me when I left? ....
Well, you can. If your car has a tape player you can get an adapter that plays your iPod through the tape player. These adapters are sold at the Apple Stores. You can also get an FM encoder to play it through the FM radio. The biggest problem here is that there is no standard way to connect an accessory to a car stereo. If you can convince Detroit to add a standard connector for this purpose I am sure Apple will make iPod conform to that standard.

21. iMidi...
No comment.

22. make ichat more fun with backdrops like yahoo! has...
No comment

23... more iApps...
Good idea.

original posted by neut...

1. Speed improvements-...
Much of OS X is actually quite fast-Applescript, networking, disk copies- but it is true that the finder GUI needs improvement.

It is speedy but not fast enough considering how fast 9 runs on a G4 and how fast XP runs on x86... this is my point.
2. Uninstaller program added to utilities--
I've got to say that this is far down my list. If I need to uninstall most things I just draq them to the trash.
That's great, but I bet you wouldn't say that if you had to update fifty macs every day, or had to poke through somebody else's system to find a lurking file someplace. A built in installer/uninstaller log would be a nice touch. XP has one, why don't we?

4. Remote Control System...
This was kind of unclear. Do you mean stuff like one computer playing an iTunes library from another computer? Do you mean something like VNC?
Not networking... remote control... read the other posts. I'm not sure what VNC is. Microsoft is coming out with a remote control media system, will we have one?

5. Basic included with developers kit...
Have you tried AppleScript Studio? Amazingly cool. Much more powerful than Basic. Basic should be allowed to die an unnatural death.
I was thinking along the lines of REALBASIC. Is Applescript studio an OOP environment? Will it teach kids how to graduate to Cocoa development? You tell me, I haven't played with studio yet. (If it's just a fancy applescript compiler, then no, it's not what I'm talking about).

This is not an Apple product. It apparently is available on OS X. They had a booth at MWSF last January. At MW-Tokyo they had a lot of cool examples like robot lego dogs walking around the booth.
Yes, I know it's not an Apple product. But when little Jimmy wants MindStorms for Christmas and it doesn't run on a Mac, that's negative mindshare for Apple. That's why I asked... I wasn't sure if it was ported yet... and once again, I'm thinking about the future of Apple... robotics is going to play an important role in the future, and these kits are as important to kids these days as erector sets were to my siblings when they were kids. It's inspirational, and whatever works well on a mac is good business for mac.

7. Audio console on the fly...
This seems to be very specific to your life. If you want this you could add enough iMics to accomplish this.
Yes, and it's specific to a lot of people's life that need the feature. Apple just aquired eMagic so I imagine they're going to integrate a lot of mixing fearues into the OS, just as they have with Opcodes OMS.

And one other thing... just becuase you don't think it's neccessary doesn't mean other people wouldn't like to have it or it wouldn't provide benefits to people's "digital experience"... technically we don't "need" any of this crap, and the only you could really say people need in a civilized life is toilet paper...

8. Better help system...
I kind of agree. It seems that when you search for help you tend to get answers unrelated to the application you are working on.
That's interesting... I was talking specifically about the speed of the system.

9. A better system clock ...
Just get wclock. It lets you display the time with the date.
Yes, well once upon a time we had boring clock in OS 9 until Apple finally implemented the features in SuperClock... I'm just asking them to speed up the inevitable this time...
12. Oh yeah... my favorite... A NEW MOUSE!!!
Well go get one. OS X will support a two button mouse. I happen to like the one button mouse. It works fine. Don't break it.
Yeah, that's terrific. Can you send the cash to my PayPal account? Money doesn't seem to be a problem to you so maybe you can spare the NZ$180 for a Microsoft Internet Mouse. Or Maybe Apple can figure out how to design one with a scrolling wheel and fill the shelves of the Apple store with their own products.

13. More modular systems...
????

14. Browser integration with Finder...
????
Don't worry about it... I'm sure it will come back to ya.

16. Implemented themes & icon managemenet...
It is unfortunate you don't have this but I doubt it is important for a majority of people.
I can see you have a lucrative future in marketing research. You should join my friend the penguin... he's good at it too.

17. Multiple desktops...
Same as above. Probably good for you and a few others but it would not be used by most people.
You seem to know a lot of people. I'd like to know... out of the 20 million mac users out there, how many of them are you certain will never use the feature? And does it matter? Do you know why Microsoft is the software giant? They know people don't use a lot of the features in their software, but the features are there, so nobody has to go anyplace else... in other words, they avoid competition by implementing features just in case... and it works. That's why I use Entourage, for example... it's packed with features, and I use them.
18. More interesting iPods...
iPods are nearly universally recognized as the best thing out there. Sure they could be better but they are hardly a weak spot for Apple.
I've debated this elsewhere so I won't get into it here but I'm afraid your attitude is exactly why business fails... complacency.

19. Speaking of iPods, how about an iPod docking station? I hate wires...
Sorry. Life isn't fair.
Really? I think it's quite fair. I'm sorry you feel that way about it.

20. If your car has a tape player you can get an adapter that plays your iPod through the tape player. These adapters are sold at the Apple Stores. You can also get an FM encoder to play it through the FM radio. The biggest problem here is that there is no standard way to connect an accessory to a car stereo. If you can convince Detroit to add a standard connector for this purpose I am sure Apple will make iPod conform to that standard.
An adapter, eh? You know if I get a megaphone I can sing Britney Spears songs out the window but it's really not the same. Considering that most vehicles these days ship standard with a CD player and tape players will go the way of VHS in the next five years, this isn't really what I was thinking about. I'm thinking about the fact you can already purchase 10GB+ MP3 Hard drives and put them in your car instead of a CD/Tape player. I was thinking that if I already had my iPod full of music, it would be nice to pull it out of my pocket and just plug it into a dock on the dash. I was thinking this would be a good idea. I'm sure a lot of people would agree if they had half an imagination. Forgive me if I'm asking too much.

:|

On a side note, this is a brainstorming thread, not a flame war... if you don't think the feature is what you want, I don't care. It's MY wish list. It doesn't take a million-man march to get an idea started in the right direction... so post your own thoughts on the subject and leave mine alone... they're not negotiable...

Back