Whats better Boot camp or Parellel

Radio-years

Registered
Hey , my freind just bought a new intel iMac and he wants me to install windows on it so he can play is massive game collection , he is new to mac and i am as well . what would be beter for him to put on the intel iMac?, Boot camp or a parellel ? (im guessing a parellel is a Virtual machine) . thanks

Yes, Parallels Desktop is a virtualization software that allows you to run the Windows applications transparently from Mac OS X. Not good for games, though. If he wants to game, then I recommend creating the Boot Camp drivers disc using Boot Camp and repartition your drive so that you can have one partition with OS X and the other with Windows. I'm not sure (and I can't test since my iMac is a PowerPC) but I think that Boot Camp will allow you to non-destructively repartition your hard drive so that you can install Windows without wiping your currently installed OS X.

Also remember that you need a Windows XP SP2 install disc....it won't work with anything less. Even a Windows install disc that has SP 2 slipstreamed into it will work.

Back